Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

after mudding

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after mudding

what are some of the problems you might face afterwards?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM

After every time that I've gone out muddin I had something go wrong. And every time it was a belt or pulley. My last time was an idler pulley and alternator. Bearings must not like mud. I live in Alberta and we have a lot of silica, sand and clay crap mud. Well where I've gone anyway. I've decided not to bury her in mud anymore. The wallet starts to hurt after a while. Helps to have good friends that work at the dealership. Looking to get an old late 70s early 80s f150 for that. Keep the newer one in good shape and lookn pretty. Like to try to keep her showroom style not a work/mud truck.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:47 PM

and if your not waterproofed well enough u could get mud in the engine then your wallet will really hurt
Old 01-29-2011, 08:12 PM
thread jacker!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you cant waterproof an air intake haha

just take it easy and wash it reallyyyyy good. like to the point you start takin stuff apart to clean it haha. i take my front tires off if its real bad to get down in my brakes
Old 01-29-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Drew1979
After every time that I've gone out muddin I had something go wrong. And every time it was a belt or pulley. My last time was an idler pulley and alternator. Bearings must not like mud. I live in Alberta and we have a lot of silica, sand and clay crap mud. Well where I've gone anyway. I've decided not to bury her in mud anymore. The wallet starts to hurt after a while. Helps to have good friends that work at the dealership. Looking to get an old late 70s early 80s f150 for that. Keep the newer one in good shape and lookn pretty. Like to try to keep her showroom style not a work/mud truck.

a little off topic but where in alberta do u wheel, waiparous, maclean creek burnt timber?

and if u want to stop splash up into the motor i have heard of people sheeting in under the radiator and around the wheel wells with something like old mud flaps and probably u could do it with a thin gauge steel
Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Censored by the Man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Count on the pulley for your a/c clutch making a ton of noise. Dirt gets in the bearings. I went to Rausch creek last summer and Mine is still squeaky.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Bleeds Ford Blue

Received 321 Likes on 183 Posts

I was in an Explorer Club and always went mudding in the Pine Barrens (NJ). By the time I sold my '99 Explorer I had replaced or repaired all the following:

1 new (to me) transfer case - forced the driver's CV to bind as if it was in 4LO
3 hub bearing assemblies for the front
3 rear axle rebuilds
2 rear axle seals
1 manifold torn off the block a bit
6 rotors as rocks would get stuck and score the crap out of them
1 relocation of air intake from front of the truck to inside the fender well (unfinished snorkel project)
Countless fog light bubs - the housings would fill and kill the bulbs
1 serpentine belt - that was a fun day - thank goodness it broke 1/4 mile from my house and I coasted into the drive. and let me say no PS or PB sucks.

I think that's it.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
thread jacker!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or if you take it easy, a few scratches down the sides.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

i get mud built up on the inside of my wheels and once it drys it will cause the truck to vibrate on the road. hit it with a hose before it drys
Old 02-03-2011, 08:59 PM

also make sure u check your diffs, trany and transfer case for water

Quick Reply: after mudding