Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Adding rear tow hooks?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Adding rear tow hooks?

Does anyone know of an aftermarket kit to add rear tow hooks to a 2012 F150?

I do have the factory towing package which has a tow hitch with 2" receiver, and I also have an insert that has a 3/4" bow shackle, but I'm thinking that for certain types of recovery work (for example using a kinetic recovery rope) it might be good to have something stronger than the factory hitch.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know of any "KIT" persay... But no one says you cant by you some 10k shackles/hooks and have a fabricater just make one for you.... I doubt it would cost you more than 400$ and it would be a lot stronger than anything else out there.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I dont see the point in rear shackes. If you have a tow hitch you can just but the receiver that slide into the hitch.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Call-_Me-Jordan
I dont see the point in rear shackes. If you have a tow hitch you can just but the receiver that slide into the hitch.
What I'm worried about (perhaps unnecessarily) is that the peak shock load during a kinetic recovery may be far above the 10,000 lbs. rating of the hitch.

Does the Raptor have tow hooks in the rear?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by billf

What I'm worried about (perhaps unnecessarily) is that the peak shock load during a kinetic recovery may be far above the 10,000 lbs. rating of the hitch.

Those hitches are tough! I've put big loads while snatching people out on mine and no problems
Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Call-_Me-Jordan

Well personally i like shackles better than hooks....
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 AM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by finalwest

Well personally i like shackles better than hooks....
Just have to be careful about putting side loads on shackles or the pins can be a pita to get out
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by billf

Just get a big *** pintle hook for your receiver. And if you get two hooks you will always want to use both sides when recovering, that's too much load for just one of the recovery points you can easily bend your frame, just like you should always use a bridle for your front hooks
Old 07-17-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Almighty
just like you should always use a bridle for your front hooks
Dam really? I didn't know that, good thing I havent used mine. You got a pic of your bridle?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks all for your input.

o I've found a number of pictures that show the rear-end of the Raptor and they all show two tow hooks in addition to the tow hitch receiver. The Ford shop manual for the 2012 F150 does not show these anywhere and I haven't been able to find parts for these listed online, so I'm going to call a Ford dealer and see if they can help me identify the parts and determine if this is something I can add to my non-Raptor F150.

o Until then I'll use the D-shackle insert I got for my tow hitch receiver. The label on the tow hitch says it's good up to 10,000 lbs, and the shackle insert says it's good to 20,000 lbs, which is probably good enough in most cases.

o If I do find and install some rear tow hooks I'll also get a bridle strap as Almighty suggested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding rear tow hooks?