Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

4x4 problem or user error?!?!?!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 problem or user error?!?!?!

Hello!!

I have a 2007 f150 XLT 4x4 with about 57k miles. I have owned the truck for about 3 months and have absolutely loved it. This past weekend I decided to take her on some trails up in northern Michigan while I was camping. I turned on the 4 high and went romping. All was great until I hit some thick sand. Got it stuck and I was getting it out I noticed the front wheels were not spinning in place like the rear wheels were. When it did move it was pushing sand in the front wheels. When we got it out and onto flatter ground I wanted to have a buddy give it hard on the gas to see if all 4 tires spin but we only saw the back ones spin. I hear the transfer case when I flip the **** to 4 high but why weren't the front wheels spinning?!?! Is there some sort of lock out function or traction control thing I'm missing?? I hope this is not a problem?? Looking forward to this winter I want to make sure it's all good? Is there something I'm missing here?? THANKS IN ADVANCE U GUYS ROCK!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:15 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Look into your IWE solenoid and vac lines to your IWE hub actuators.

The front diff is open so you won't likely spin all 4.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Either the IWE solenoid failed to send the vent command to the wheel ends or you have bad wheel ends that will not vent.. Venting will engage the IWE's.. This is of course you are sure the T-case is working.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading a lot about the IWE system and from my symptoms it seems like its probably only a solenoid issue. Is there a way to test to isolate the problem to the solenoid? In other words if I replace the solenoid how will I know the system is fully functional?
Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

If your cv's are locked or not when in 4x4.

pull the hoses off your IWE's and then turn 4x4 on. you should be locked in. Engage forward slowly to let them lock in.

Put the hoses back on then come out of 4x4 and see if your cv's are turning when going forward if they are still then the solenoid or vac lines are shot or the IWE is shot.

Do a vacuum leak down test on the hoses.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:28 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Do a vacuum test on the IWE 's themself's .. They have seals in them that can also leak ... His problem sounds like a failed vent command from the solenoid..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 problem or user error?!?!?!