Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

4wd malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd malfunction

I have an '04 150, 4.6L that has recently had a problem with the 4wd, especially low not engaging.

I had not used the 4wd all winter and last month I needed it and had a problem engaging it. A friend told me the actuator needed excercised and that worked, till today.

When I placed it in 4 low, it would not engage, so I exercised it and it finally went in. But now when it's in low, I have no power at all, even when I push the pedal to the floor.

I also noticed in both 4 hi & low, that when I turn, it seems like the rear is in a bind. It does not do this in reverse. I recently replaced the rear axle seals and bearings, so I don't think it's a rear end issue.

I've been told and heard of actuator, vacuum, etc problems, but can't figure it out, PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by BF750; 05-07-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:57 AM
07 fx4

sounds to me like its going into 4 once it quits being stubbern.. soooo i would start by changing the Xfer case fluid to see if there might be an issue there.. still check to c if the front accuators are really going in. sounds to me like one of those mystery problems . good luck
Old 05-09-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you driving in 4x4 on dry pavement? What body style do you have 04 had two styles. Is your transfer case an electric shift or a lever?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 AM

Default 4wd

It's the electric shift, 4 door cab and yes, this is when it's on dry pavement. I have exercised the actuators and it seems to be working better except when I turn hard it still acts like the rear is in a bind and 4 low is not working right and I have no power at all.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What you are experiencing is called Binding. When you engage a Part Time 4x4 system there is no give in the driveline. Because of this all wheels must turn the same amount of revolutions per mile. That is impossible when you are turning. The outside wheel turns in a larger circle and the front and rear wheels also turn in different diameter circles. With no give in the system it binds. Go try it on a dirt road where the tires can slip. To help things make sure your tires are properly inflated to the recommended pressures.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Old 05-12-2009, 10:06 AM

Default 4wd

Thanks Jean and I'll try it this weekend. I still can't figure out the lack of any power while in 4 low. I come from a hydraulics, heavy equipment mechanics background and this is my first new 4wd vehicle and it's throwing me for a loop. Too many electronics, actuators, etc!!!

Quick Reply: 4wd malfunction