Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

4WD + E-Locker

Old 04-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Hightech Redneck

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Default 4WD + E-Locker

With a stock 4WD system and stock e-locker how will the trick handle off road? Specifically, how many wheels can lose traction and still appy torque to the remaining wheel(s)? I've always had a basic understanding of traditional 4WD and differential systems, but I'm becoming more confused with the newer technologies used on our trucks. Are there any good guides that can explain the capabilities and underlying mechanics of how the truck operates off road?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These "new" systems are very similar to the old ones. You turn a switch to go out of 2 hi to 4 hi to 4 low. The e locker is basically there to save you if you get stuck in 4wd. Or at least thats how i use it. The e locker will lock the two rear tires so that they are forced to spin at the same time giving you really good traction.
With a decent set of all terrain tires there is little you wont be able to handle except maybe extreme mud or snow.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Hightech Redneck

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

In that case am I correct in saying the truck will get stuck if only one front wheel has traction? Conversely, the truck would still move if only one rear wheel had traction? Three wheels do not have traction on both scenarios.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really depends on what you are in. In mud you would probably be stuck but in anything else you should be able to reverse and get out. Look up using a e locker on youtube so you can see what it will do for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4WD + E-Locker