Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

4wd clunking sound seems to be trouble issue

Old 05-09-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd clunking sound seems to be trouble issue

OK today i tried to engage my 2004 5.4l into 4wd hi and low and neither would lock in i hear a slight clunking sound like its going to engage but however doesnt. At one point i got a friend to lie under neath while i tried to lock it in and he saw no movement in the front however my drive shaft in the rear was turning. It also seemed to try and engage one but neither front tires ever spun and while idleing at low speeds i would punch the gas to try and get the front tires to spin and twice on two different tries i heard a loud clunking sound comming from under neath the cab like something was gonna fall out of the bottom and it also caused the truck to jump ive never had it act like this at all before if anyone could have any suggestions please send them my way i would greatly appreciate it i hope to resolve this issue soon
Old 05-10-2009, 02:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It your truck the new body style or the Heritage? Electric shift or manual?

Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 AM

the new body style 4x4 manual shift 5.4L
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 AM

When 4x4 is engaged the front drive shaft should turn because the t-case is engaged and the IWE in the front are too. Jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground and support it. With the transmission in P and the t-case in 4Hi try to turn the front drive shaft. Does it turn? Then spin one of the front wheels. The other side should turn the opposite way. Does it?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Pistol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chance
I had a similar problem but in reverse.My front hubs would not unlock while in 2wd.
I would have a look at the system that activates the 4wd system.Ford uses Vacuum to connect&disconnect the front axle hubs.The Integrated wheel end solenoid is a electric switch that sends vacuum to the front axle actuators to unlock the front axles in 2wd.You dont want those components to windmill while in 2wd.
On the other hand,while in 4wd vacuum is removed when you shift to 4wd,locking the axles&thus 4wd will engage.
Good test to see if the system is working properly is this:Start your truck&make sure the tranny is in park&brake appied(safety first)Keep your truck in 2wd.Now crawl underneath&try to rotate the front drive shaft.You should be able to&this is telling you that vacuum is applied to the Integrated wheel end hubs unlocking them.
Put the truck now in 4wd.You should NOT be able to rotate the front drive shaft.
Hope this helps.If what I described doesnt work then the system is not working properly.What i did was replace the IWE solenoid switch.This is located at the firewall right side behind the battery.That would be the first thing I would look for.Thats what my problem was.Ford has a TSB(Technical service bulletin)regarding that switch.Water can get in the switch&it renders the switch dead.Try replacing that.The part cost me 50 bucks.Soon as I intalled it BOOM!It worked.Do the small things first.Hopefully that will be it.I have a chart&tech stuff I can make available to you as well as others who have that same problem.Bummed design on the part of Ford regarding the location of this switch...Pete
Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 PM

ok ive gotten under there and the drive shaft to the transfer case will spin like in 2wd i engaded to 4wd hi and low and in both it was like it was locked in and wouldnt move but some how its still not engaged i also looked over for the iwe solenoid and it looks to be the aftermarket one it has a black cover over the top of it and the bolt seemed to have been loosened but anyhow it will still not lock in 4wd whats the next things to check
Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by chance985
ok ive gotten under there and the drive shaft to the transfer case will spin like in 2wd i engaded to 4wd hi and low and in both it was like it was locked in and wouldnt move but some how its still not engaged i also looked over for the iwe solenoid and it looks to be the aftermarket one it has a black cover over the top of it and the bolt seemed to have been loosened but anyhow it will still not lock in 4wd whats the next things to check
OK, this is confusing. Either the driveshaft turned in 4x4 or it did not. I need to know if the driveshaft turned or not. Not the halfshafts attached to the hub of the wheels but the front driveshaft coming out of the transfer case.

The front drive shaft should not turn when 4x4 is engaged and only the front wheels are in the air. If it doesn't turn that means the transfer case is engaged. How did the Wheels spin? Did the opposite side spin in the opposite direction? If the front driveshaft is locked then the pinion holds the ring gear in place. With the ring gear locked the differential cannot turn. If both wheels are engaged when one wheel is turning the other will turn in the opposite direction. What bolt was loose?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4wd clunking sound seems to be trouble issue