Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

4 wheel drive screwed up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Dsav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive screwed up!

so i was headin up the canyon this morning and it was snowing like none other so i flipped my 4x4 switch. i should be able to do this goin 55mph, i was going 30mph and it just grinded for a second then it grabbed really hard and it sounded pretty bad when it finally went into four wheel. is there some kind of clutch in my transfercase that could be out? some one please help me!
Old 11-14-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your tires were probably not all moving at the same speed. Either the rears were spinning faster than the fronts or your wheels weren't pointed straight. Try it at lower speeds going straight and see if it happens again. Chances are that it wont.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dsav
so i was headin up the canyon this morning and it was snowing like none other so i flipped my 4x4 switch. i should be able to do this goin 55mph, i was going 30mph and it just grinded for a second then it grabbed really hard and it sounded pretty bad when it finally went into four wheel. is there some kind of clutch in my transfercase that could be out? some one please help me!
I was always told by various shops and auto mechanics that if you can while driving,quickly go into neutral and then shift into 4wd as it puts less stress on your tranny.Now yes you can do it on the fly(well the 04 and up you can anyways)but just be safe,don't put the wear and tear on your tranny and since your doing 30 just go into neutral and go 4wd,then also if you need to switch off before you come to complete stop,go back to neutral and put it on 2wd.Trust me,your tranny and hubs will thank you for it,lol
Old 11-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnger3rd
I was always told by various shops and auto mechanics that if you can while driving,quickly go into neutral and then shift into 4wd as it puts less stress on your tranny.Now yes you can do it on the fly(well the 04 and up you can anyways)but just be safe,don't put the wear and tear on your tranny and since your doing 30 just go into neutral and go 4wd,then also if you need to switch off before you come to complete stop,go back to neutral and put it on 2wd.Trust me,your tranny and hubs will thank you for it,lol

I know I don't have to do this, but I still do it anyways.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ty
I know I don't have to do this, but I still do it anyways.
Whats that man,put it in neutral??
Old 11-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

I also put mine into N when either I am moving or stopped to engage it... It's just how I have always done it.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Jimbooo

What ever one else said. This happened to me a few times and HOPEFULLY it wont but about a month later I had to replace the actuators and hubs. Mine were completely shot for some reason after that happened. I've heard when you dont use them for a while they malfunction sometimes though or they wont click in perfectly at first.

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive screwed up!