Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2WD to 4WD conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question 2WD to 4WD conversion?

Just in the very beginning of thinking about this. I have a 2007 F-150 screw with 2WD/5.4/auto/3.73 limited slip/ lowered 3" rear-2" front.
How much trouble would this be?

1. Are there mounting holes in the frame already for the things that would need to be mounted?

2. Is any of the 4WD system controlled by the trucks computer?

3. How strong is the factory transfer case; or should I use something else?

4. Is it worth it to get all the factory parts from a donor truck or go with a custom install?

I have decent mechanical skills and could easily do a bolt-on install; but I have almost no fab experience so if things needed to be fabbed; that would have to be farmed out.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 PM
All downhill from here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

Everything IS possible, My brother is just finishing marrying a 46 ford convertible and a newer Lincoln town car. However unless you enjoy a challenge or have a sentimental attachment to your truck IMO it would be much easier to sell yours and buy a 4X4.
Most of my projects have been superdutys and early broncos so I am not as knowledgeable about 150's as most others on this site. That being said you are looking at a front axle, suspension, transfer case, shifter..which are all doable given enough time, money and a good donor vehicle. The thing that would worry me most would be the computer, (maybe because I am old).
Old 09-08-2013, 12:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Buy a truck with 4WD, unless you have a ton of money to burn OR have access to a cheap or free parts donor.

This isn't the 1980s anymore, where Ford still used the twin I beam suspension and it was a relatively simple axle, transmission, and manual transfer case swap.

I'm not really sure when the last time Ford offered a manual transfer case in a F150, so yes, there is some integration with the computer to get one going with a factory setup.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by projectcop
Just in the very beginning of thinking about this. I have a 2007 F-150 screw with 2WD/5.4/auto/3.73 limited slip/ lowered 3" rear-2" front.

1. Are there mounting holes in the frame already for the things that would need to be mounted?

2. Is any of the 4WD system controlled by the trucks computer?

3. How strong is the factory transfer case; or should I use something else?

4. Is it worth it to get all the factory parts from a donor truck or go with a custom install?

I have decent mechanical skills and could easily do a bolt-on install; but I have almost no fab experience so if things needed to be fabbed; that would have to be farmed out.

The question you should be asking yourself is why? It's not like a 2007 screw 2wd or 4wd is a rarity or a high demand product. The end result wouldn't be unique in anyway and likely less reliable than a factory offering. If you had clean step side from 60's, 70s, 80s or possibly even early 90's I could understand the desire to do the project better.

Quick Reply: 2WD to 4WD conversion?