Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2016 4x4/ 6" rough country lift kit improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 4x4/ 6" rough country lift kit improvements?

Hey everyone,

Im looking into how i can improve my suspensions performance without completely replacing the RC 6" kit currently installed. The truck has 11k/mi on it and has only recently seen off road use, wear and tear is not a suspected culprit.

No matter how i drive, if im not creeping slowly through washes/medium-small rocky trails, the ride will beat the sh*t out of anyone in the cab, it sucks. I've played with tire pressure and cant go low enough to smooth out this Arizona desert. Meanwhile, my buddy passes me up in his bone stock 2001 4-runner smooth and smug as can be. He makes it a point to display his absolute comfort and ride quality while off road .

My only ideas are to replace the stock front shock absorbers/spacers with bilstein 5100's (if possible) and an add-a-leaf.

Any suggestions gentlemen?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2016, 12:01 AM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Go to super duty headquarters and get some kings, fox or icon parts. Will not be cheap, but should help a lot.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

order the bds fox 2.5 coilovers and rear fox 2.0s. its going to cost you a little less than $2,000.

Another option is to call up pro comp and order their front coil overs and rear shocks for around $1000

Fabtech offers coil overs and rear shocks for the 6 inch lift as well I cant comment on the pricing.

or you could contact kings or icon and have them build you a set of custom coilover shocks.

All options are going to cost you some pretty pennies but from what I have heard you can really tell a difference.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

For a comfortable off road truck, you need wheel travel and articulation in your suspension and that can not be achieved with out replacing your Upper and Lower arms plus coilovers ( depending on what type of off road you are doing ).

Coilovers up front and a full leaf pack in the rear will help but you do have to realize that lift kits, technically, are not meant for off road ( in my opinion ).

In the end, it'll come down to how much you want to spend for this improvement.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:53 PM
JJM

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertJ
Hey everyone,

Im looking into how i can improve my suspensions performance without completely replacing the RC 6" kit currently installed. The truck has 11k/mi on it and has only recently seen off road use, wear and tear is not a suspected culprit.

No matter how i drive, if im not creeping slowly through washes/medium-small rocky trails, the ride will beat the sh*t out of anyone in the cab, it sucks. I've played with tire pressure and cant go low enough to smooth out this Arizona desert. Meanwhile, my buddy passes me up in his bone stock 2001 4-runner smooth and smug as can be. He makes it a point to display his absolute comfort and ride quality while off road .

My only ideas are to replace the stock front shock absorbers/spacers with bilstein 5100's (if possible) and an add-a-leaf.

Any suggestions gentlemen?

Thanks!
The front struts should be factory with that lift, rears are probably the harsh nitros. I went with hydraulic rear shocks on my truck and it made a big difference in comfort. Everyone swears nitros are better but they were too stiff (fox 2.0) for everyday driving.