Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2012 F150 4x4 Leveling

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 F150 4x4 Leveling

Ok guys, I have this truck and placed a MotoFab 2 inch leveling kit on it. I had this done at a local garage. Got the truck back and took it to the dealership to have it lined up. Everything was good until as I was driving, I started to here a roar sound, almost like rough tires, coming from the front of the vehicle. I stopped and for the heck of it I put it in 4 wheel dr. The sound stopped but when I turned the wheels slightly it was like I was applying the brakes. As long as I went forward it seemed ok. I put the truck back into 2 wheel drive and the roar was gone until a few miles down the road when it started again. I am running 315/70/17 tires on the stock Ford Raptor wheels. There was no problem before the kit. Its just a spacer that sits on top of the coils.

Is there something else that needs to be done after the kit? I am very confused... Please help.

Jamie Allen
Reidsville
Old 12-10-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On your drive to the dealership did it happen?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:17 AM

Yes it did
Old 12-11-2015, 09:37 AM

More then likely an alignment issue. The only problem is how they installed the kit. If they removed your brakes, rotors, hub, etc to do it.. or they just turned the wheels and removed just the strut assembly.. My guess is just the strut assembly was touched and your alignment was out of wack. Our vehicles lose perfect alignment from day to day driving and your leveling kit was probably just the cherry on top for a noticeable issue.

How is the vehicle after the alignment was done? If there was any issues Ford should have caught them at that point. Hope everything works out. Cheers.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Its hard to explain, Once you put it in 4 wheel drive and take it back out, the roar stops. Today, again for the heck of it, I put it in 4 wheel drive and everything seems to be fine. I almost think it has something to do with the gear box maybe or its not disengaging all the way?

After 15 - 20 miles it will start the roar again.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 AM

Is it only on a certain side? Like front right or something? If you do slight zig zags on the road does it come in and out? If so, possible wheel bearing. You never answered the question on weither or not you had an alignment done. You should really not engage your 4x4 while on a paved road because it can cause problems I hear.

If your vehicle has had its alignment done.. just take it back to Ford and tell them something isn't right with whatever they did and hopefully they can find the issue free of charge if you explain it never happened since the alignment. If you still haven't have the alignment done, I highly suggest you do that and see if the problem goes away.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put money on the hub actuator. They are vacuum operated and have a rubber diagram on them. If they aren't put back together right (I think vacuum has to be applied when reinstalling them) they can break. Did it on my truck when I took the front end apart and it made the same sound and acted the same way. I work at a dealership (not ford unfortunately) and the body shop guys and I tried using basically industrial strength super glue but ended up having to replace it.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also check the vacuum lines going to them along the front of the truck and around the suspension. Make sure nothing is pinched and causing it to not disengage fully

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 4x4 Leveling