Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2009 baja 1000 member race report

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 baja 1000 member race report

we started near the rear of the field in our ranger racetruck. had three logjams in the first 50 miles costing up about an hour. we were in really brutal dust for about a hundred miles straight and, right after dark, followed the only line i could see right into a giant siltbed. we finally got towed out after an hour of futile digging. switched drivers and was going pretty well and leading in our class big time until he flexplate broke. took 6 more hours before the chase truck came and we could weld it back up. we were about 190 miles from the finish line when we finally got going but only had a few hours left to complete the race in the alloted time. our 4th and last driver bill kellison was flyin' and gave it his best . the race time limit was 31 hours. we timed out at 31 hours 13 minutes. 13 minutes short after being about 8 hrs with the truck down really hurts. we would have finished really well and prolly won the race to go along with our win in the baja 500 last june. this course was the roughest coure i've ever raced on and it was brutal. oh well. we'll get em' next year. my f150 lightning prerunner/chase truck also had an issue when a spark plug flew out of the head. ended up towing back both my trucks to the usa on trailers. some days are diamonds, somedays are coal. coal this go around but we never quit. ever.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:46 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks. Gave it your best..
Old 11-29-2009, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a bummer man. awsome to hear you took your class in the 500 but like you said you'll get em next year at the 1000. sorry to hear about your chase to that sucks. you have any pictures of your ranger and chase? i love lookin at that stuff. maybe some even some action shots?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by TSmith
thats a bummer man. awsome to hear you took your class in the 500 but like you said you'll get em next year at the 1000. sorry to hear about your chase to that sucks. you have any pictures of your ranger and chase? i love lookin at that stuff. maybe some even some action shots?
thanks for the nice words. sorry to have taken so long to respond. search tracksidephoto.com. find the 2009 score baja 500 and 1000 galleries and click on trucks or sportsman truck and type in swink [my last name] or just cruise thru all the pics of folks racetrucks til you get to mine. for the 1000, i think we're on pg#50 and 51. not sure about the 500. let me know what you think. thanks again. randy swink. ma y sol racing ford ranger.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:42 AM

i forgot. pics of my f-150 lightning pre run truck are in my album. this thing is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. it's all good now.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:04 AM

very nice trucks!!! that pre runner is sweat!!!! you ever race in any of the local races in barstow or other socal areas?
Old 12-26-2009, 03:29 AM

thanks again . nope. just the score mexican races. too many rules up here for me. i've got a lot of friends that race plaster city, BITD V2R, snore, and score stuff in the us though. we're thinking about doing some mexican CODE and RECORD races. these mexican sanctioning bodies really put on some killer races. lotsa very nice people and fast racecars with a fair amount of big time american and mexican racers like roger norman, jason mcneil, perry mcneil, gus vildosola sr. and jr,, omar dipp, the cancholas. you're an off road race fan. not all that many here on this forum but all these guys still love their trucks and like to get out and tear sh-t up just like we do. anyway, thanks for showing interest and i'll see you in the desert [most likely in baja]. glad you like the trucks. that lightning makes prerunning more fun that it already is.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:28 PM

haha yup im an off-roader thru and thru. my passion is dirt bikes but i still love watchin the trucks and buggies tear it up!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 AM

haha yup im an off-roader thru and thru. my passion is dirt bikes but i still love watchin the trucks and buggies tear it up!!!
i can see that by your avatar. almost time to watch jonah street go after marc coma in the dakar. both riding KTM bikes. KTM came real close to getting a win in the 1000. honda just barely slipped by. personally, i don't know how you guys do it. oh well, some folks don't belong on bikes and i admit to being one of em'.

Quick Reply: 2009 baja 1000 member race report