Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

05 king ranch, want 22" rims.. what size lift/tires and mods needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 king ranch, want 22" rims.. what size lift/tires and mods needed?

ive got an 05 King Ranch and I love the look of the 22" wheels with low pro mud tires, but this is my first truck and dont know where to even start really as far as best/cheap lift kits, what size lift do i need to fit 22" wheels, where to buy the best tires... to fit wheels and tire of this size do i need to alter the steering or anything else? do all trucks require a leveling kit? i need some help
Old 05-07-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Throw the word cheap out. You can do it either right or wrong, aka cheap or not cheap. I hate when people want to build their truck as "cheap" as possible. That's great, go with a 3 inch leveling kit for $200 but you'll spend the cost of a real lift fixing all your front end parts down the road.

What size tires do you want to run is the most important question. Assuming you want 35's, (35/12.50/22 would be your tire size) you're going to need a 4-6 inch lift. 4 would look the best but with those big wheels, I am not sure how much of a difference it really makes.

No trucks require a leveling kit. It's a cheaper way to lift your truck which puts sharper angles on your front end, causing things like ball joints to wear much faster. I put a leveling kit in my truck because I wanted the stuffed tire look and it wore my front end out twice. If you have the money for 22's, you must have the money for a proper lift.

As far as suspension lifts, BDS is the king as far as warranty but they're also upwards of $2000. They have an unlimited warranty however that if any part of their kit breaks, they replace it no questions asked. They stand behind their product and it's a good one. A lot of guys on here run Zone lifts as well which I have never had but heard many good things. I ran a Rough Country 4 inch in two separate trucks of mine and was fine with the results. Pay for the upgraded shocks though, it makes a big difference in ride quality.

35's aren't going to NEED a regear but you could use one. Your truck will feel like it has a lot less power and a set of 4.10 gears will return it to stock. That's going to run you $2000 for gears front and back (assuming you have a 4x4). Check your ratio however, I thought for some reason king ranch's came with something like 3.90's or something low like that that wouldn't really need a regear.

If you go with 37's however, you're really going to need one with a set of something like 4.56's. I put 37's on a Chev I had once and it felt like it would barely pull itself.

Anyways, what you need in list form -
1. Suspension lift. (BDS, Zone, Rough Country, Fabtech, lots of people make them).
2. Rims. I don't know a ton about big rims but I know without much sidewall, it's going to be very easy to bend or break one so you might want to buy good ones.
3. Tires. Where you buy your tires isn't a big deal, figure out what you want (A mud tire (nitto mud grapplers, BFG Mud terrains), an all terrain (Nitto Trail Grapplers, BFG All terrains) or a street tire?) and shop around local shops to see who has the best price.
Mud tires will last the least long but be the "coolest looking" and the best in the woods. All terrains are a great mix of both street and offroad without much of a compromise either way.

Suspension lift, installed will prob run you $2000-2500
Regear (If you go for it, you might not need it $1500-2000)
Tires ($1500-2000)
Rims ($1500+++)

Anyways, if you have any questions ask. Me or someone will be happy to answer. What are you looking to spend?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Oh yeah, and a ton of suspension lifts level your truck on their own. The idea of a suspension lift is to lift it up without changing the geometry and angles in your front end to avoid causing extra wear and tear on them.

Quick Reply: 05 king ranch, want 22" rims.. what size lift/tires and mods needed?