Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

My efan write up w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default My efan write up w/pics

Finished up the efan install today. Took longer then I had expected because of the wiring. I wanted to hide as much of the wiring as possible to keep a stock look. the easiest part was pulling all the stock crap out. I had to rent a Ford clutch removal kit for the 4.9L motor for $20 at autozone but I got my money back when i returned it. I got my 16" efans off of ebay for $25 each brand new. they came from upstate new york to socal in just 4 days so my hat is off to the seller for great service.

Here is the fans installed on the back of the radiator with the bulk of the wiring done.

Here is a view from above to show all the extra room i have now. having trouble changing belts is a thing of the past.

This bundle of wires orriginally went to the stock fan clutch. I used the possitive ignition wire in the bundle for the 12v switched source my controller required. This way the fans only can run when the power is on.

I got my Delta Current Controller off line as well for around $120, dont remember the exact price. Its mounted on the passenger side with double sided tape.

I didnt want to tap into the ac wires all the way below the truck so i crawled under there just to see what color they were. one was greyish with a black stripe, the other was all block. i followed the line back up near the valve covers and opened up the harnes a little so i could find those wires. i tested the grey/black one first and that turned out to be the right one so i tapped it with the blue wire in my kit. once i go back with some electrical tape, no one will ever know i tapped any wires and itll look stock again.

Here is what it looks like with that shroud cap back in place. I like having it on because it hides all the wires and looks cleaner.

i took my g/f for a test drive. i was just driving around slow in the neighborhood to see how it felt down low and before i made any comments my g/f said she could tell there was a huge difference. i felt it too. when slowing down from driving speed you notice a difference as well. the truck seems to just keep going instead of feeling like its slowing down right away. in the end i paid less then $200 which is half what any aftermarket company charges and the DC controller is top of the line, you cant even compare it to the controllers that come with other kits. Hp gains were very noticeable down low which is great for daily driving, towing and improved MPGs

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 03-23-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:00 PM

and for those who requested a better picture of my UD pulley install, here it is.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

That's a very nice setup you have there. I just wish I knew atleast something wiring related because these are the type projects I love but I don't even know where to start.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by LovetheTide
That's a very nice setup you have there. I just wish I knew atleast something wiring related because these are the type projects I love but I don't even know where to start.
with the instructios ive given and with the instructions that come with the DCC, you cant f*ck it up. its so easy. i learned by doing. i didnt know jack about cars when i bought my mustang, that was about 4 years ago and now the stang has a 700hp twin turbo 331 stroker under the hood i built myself.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 PM

I'm about to go take a look under the hood. How many wires did you have to cut and or run additionally in this setup?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 PM

i only had to tap 2 of the factory wires and i have clearly shown which ones they are. the directions that come with the controller have a great picture on how to wire everything up. its so much easier then you think it is. all the wires i needed came with the DC controller. i paid an extra $4 for the dual fan wiring harness but that just made the install easier.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 PM

What temperature do you have them setup to start on? I'm guessing around 200?
Old 03-23-2008, 06:25 PM

The dcc come programmed at 180* you can have the car run and 14* or 22* warmer or colder. Keep in mind the controller doesn't just turn the fan on and off, it ramps up the speed as the truck warms up. I set mine to run at 14* above the stock setting of 180 which is 194* which is what my truck ran at according to my scangauge2 before the efan install. After driving for 20min in 90* weather, the trucks temp was between 191 and 195, just like stock so I'm not changing anything. The controller turns the fans on about 175*, at this point they spin very slowly. By about 220 they are at full power. Since the truck runs at 195ish, that means the fans are running at only half capacity. Because the fans don't run at full power they don't use much electricity which is good because I have UD pulleys and a large system in my truck. With the fans on, ac on, stereo on, at idle the truck still had 14.0v
Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 PM

Very nice. Once I get a check that should be here in the next few days for a muffler I'm selling I might purchase the parts and such. Assuming I don't buy a CAI instead.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Hobie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the UD pulleys you said on your truck? what is there purpose? and also, the fans look freakin nice, you have a ton more room under your hood now, makes me wanna look into gettin some.

Quick Reply: My efan write up w/pics