Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

wheel offset

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking wheel offset

OK...am shopping for new wheels and I think I found a set that looks good (Moto Metal 957). My stock wheels ar 18" 6x135 with a 40 offset. Everything matches except the offset. These have an offset of -12.

Can anyone explain what the deal is with the offset in general...and more importantly what offset range can I use without have to do anything more to the truck? Thanx
Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pm wxcmpo, he will be able to tell you everything you will wantto know about offset, and probally some stuff you dont want to know, lol
Old 02-23-2008, 09:45 AM

let me take a shot at this and see if i can get it right. offset is the term used to describe the position of the face of the wheel. if the wheel is facing you, the bolt holes are either center, towweards the back or towards the front, my 2008 the wheels are very high offset meaning that the face of the wheel would be towards me and this would make most of the wheel and tire tuck nicely up under the fender.... hope this helps a little..
Old 02-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Rollin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iluvmyford
let me take a shot at this and see if i can get it right. offset is the term used to describe the position of the face of the wheel. if the wheel is facing you, the bolt holes are either center, towweards the back or towards the front, my 2008 the wheels are very high offset meaning that the face of the wheel would be towards me and this would make most of the wheel and tire tuck nicely up under the fender.... hope this helps a little..

Yea that is basically as simple as it gets. When i bought my truck back in 2002, it had the MAG deep dish Trend wheels on it with low profile tires. I took them off. You want to make sure your wheels are offset more towards you so that it isnt so stressful on your bearings and it does fit more balanced in your fenderwell. Hope that helps. Taking the measurements from the mounting face of the rim to the inside lip and then from the mounting face to the outside lip will give you some better clues.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 PM

Bringing this post back up.
I want to buy new rims and tires for my 2005 f150
I have stock 17's on it now 6 lug and was told the stock offset is 44 with a 5" backspacing.

Here is a link to the rim I want, I also want it with the optional black ring.
http://www.wheelpros.com/brands/inde...5&pid=224&pg=1

The rims I want are the KMC xd-series diesel's 18x9 because you can't run 17's because of hitting the brake or something.

I have been told the KMC xd-series Diesel 766 has a 2" off set but the backspacing is 5"

I have gotten several different numbers on both off set and backspacing.
I AM CONFUSED.
Basically I am stuck on this rim I don't want any other rim than the KMC Diesel, so now I have to figure out what all needs to be done to make sure I can run these without problems.
I only wanted to do a 2.5" leveling kit but will lift it if I have to.
I appreciate any help or advise.
THANKS

Forgot to mention I want to run a 32" BFG mud terrain.

Last edited by quadracer; 03-06-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 PM

first remember that when u call a wheel company they will tell you anything u want to hear.... i would suggest that u get with a local shop tell them what u want and let them order it... then if it comes in wrong it is there problem not yours.. Ford and gm both have issues with oem 17" rims in that the aftermarket rims will not fit due to brake caliper size. Aftermarket are alloy so they are thicker than steel thus they wont fit over the brake caliper...
I have a set of wheels coming in this saturday that I have been waiting for near a month.... the dealer had to order the wheel with the right offset and back space adn then order blanks... meaning that they will drill them thereself... will post pics when i finally get them installed.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 AM

Sounds like a good plan although I have to get my tires and rims from different company's. Have a great deal set up on the tires.
Looking forward to seeing your pics.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:07 AM

The less amount of backspacing the more the rim is going to stick out. 3.5" would stick out alot 5" would be tucked in the fender. Offset (with that rim) is talking about how big the lip is going to be. If it was -24mm it would be a big lip 0mm would be almost no lip and anything in the positives means there is pretty much no lip. Usualy offset and backspacing are dependent on eachother. Meaning if you have less backspacing (wheels stick out) you will have more or negative offset (big lip/deep dish) or vise versa. With this rim you want a negative offset so you can get the lip like the one in the pic. Also you should not get to much backspacing because you want the wheels to stick out a little to get that aggressive stance with the leveling kit. Those are awesome wheels i wanted them for a while in a 20x10. Look on ebay you can get some great deals. Also check out the KMC diesels in 22x14 those look amazing.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by hypersnyper694788
The less amount of backspacing the more the rim is going to stick out. 3.5" would stick out alot 5" would be tucked in the fender. Offset (with that rim) is talking about how big the lip is going to be. If it was -24mm it would be a big lip 0mm would be almost no lip and anything in the positives means there is pretty much no lip. Usualy offset and backspacing are dependent on eachother. Meaning if you have less backspacing (wheels stick out) you will have more or negative offset (big lip/deep dish) or vise versa. With this rim you want a negative offset so you can get the lip like the one in the pic. Also you should not get to much backspacing because you want the wheels to stick out a little to get that aggressive stance with the leveling kit. Those are awesome wheels i wanted them for a while in a 20x10. Look on ebay you can get some great deals. Also check out the KMC diesels in 22x14 those look amazing.
i want the kmc ad addicts and 33-12.5 mud grapplers could i run 20s with a 3 inch leveling kit on my 04 ext cab?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:57 PM

I have an 03 crew cab fx4 with 17x7.5 wheels. Factory offset is +15. Looking at 8.5 and 9" wide wheels. Was wondering what offsets for each I would need to keep the tires in the same place? Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: wheel offset