Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

What are the effects of putting new tires and wheels on my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the effects of putting new tires and wheels on my truck?

I would like to put 20x9 XD Series Spy wheels and 305/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my truck. I have a 2009 F150 Lariat 2wd. I was wondering what the pros and cons are for putting them on. Like how much mpg you are losing, etc. Also one of the guys at a tire store was saying that I should do work under the hood if I put bigger tires too? If anyone has an opinion on that, let me know. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by MichaelJ62; 06-03-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

That's a 33.2" tire, which is a bit larger in diameter but quite a bit wider than the stock tire. Expect to lose .5-2mpgs depending on your driving style. With those tires you'll experience a bit more road noise and a little stiffer ride. You'll also notice better handling because of the width of the tire.

You will notice a slight loss in power. My suggestion would be to get a tuner to cancel out the loss in power.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allinon72
That's a 33.2" tire, which is a bit larger in diameter but quite a bit wider than the stock tire. Expect to lose .5-2mpgs depending on your driving style. With those tires you'll experience a bit more road noise and a little stiffer ride. You'll also notice better handling because of the width of the tire.

You will notice a slight loss in power. My suggestion would be to get a tuner to cancel out the loss in power.
Ok thanks! Just wondering, do you know how much a tuner like you said would cost?

Quick Reply: What are the effects of putting new tires and wheels on my truck?