Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

TreadDepot.com TPMS Sensors Question

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default TPMS Sensors Question

I'm ordering new tires and wheels from Tread Depot and was going to get their TPMS sensors installed when I do. When they arrive what is involved in getting the TPMS sensors to talk to my truck? Is this something I can do myself or do I need to have the dealer or tire place do it?

Last edited by HuskyKMA; 07-14-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

These year models might be Auto-Relearn, I can't remember off the top of my head.

If so you won't need to do anything extra. If not you will need a transmitter or have a shop learn them for you. Discount Tire does relearns for free.

FYI tire shops can swap your stock sensors into your new wheels unless you were just wanting an extra set.
The following users liked this post:
HuskyKMA (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

To my knowledge nothing happens automatically. Many forum members don't get tire icon light after swapping on a different set of tires with different sensors, but I don't think it's necessarily because the new sensors were auto-learned by the TPMS.

To be sure your new set of sensors is properly logged into the TPMS memory, there are two ways to do the relearn procedure - by changing air pressure in the tires which will trigger the sensors; or by using a tool that transmits the frequency that will trigger the sensor to send out its data.

Here's the procedure changing air pressure:

And here's the procedure done with a TPMS tool:

The following users liked this post:
HuskyKMA (07-15-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

BTW - it used to be that a shop that sold sensors needed to stock dozens of different models because so many different vehicles used different sensors. They had to keep a huge inventory, or order what a particular vehicle required.

The shops that sell sensors these days often have "cloneable" sensors. They only have to keep an inventory of a couple different sensors that they can "clone" to the customer's sensors.

They have a special TPMS tool that reads your current sensors, then programs the new sensors to be clones of the OE sensors.

If you get those sensors, nothing at all needs to be done - they are exactly like your OE sensors so the truck doesn't know any difference.

Same thing when you put your OE wheels/tires with the original sensors back on - nothing needs to be done because the TPMS won't know any difference between the OE sensors or the clones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TreadDepot.com TPMS Sensors Question