Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Tires wearing on the outside

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tires wearing on the outside

I have an 08 FX4 that I bought new last year. I put a 2" autospring on the front and a 3" replacement block in the back to level the truck up to where I wanted it. I had the front end aligned the next day. I then wanted bigger tires. I bought a set of Toyo Open Coutry's that are one size bigger. I have had the tires for about 6-8 months and just had them rotated. The outside tread is wearing faster than the inside. I had the front end aligned again last week and was told that it was not very far off. All four tires are wearing the same way but the fronts are a little worse. I keep 40 psi in all 4 tires. Also want to add that I live and work where I drive on gravel roads. Someone please help.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:59 PM

If the outside and inside of the tread is wearing faster than the center it is low air pressure, if it is the outside of just inside wearing than you have an alignment issues. Front tires will wear the inside and outside faster than rear because when you turn you change the angle that the tire meets the road, that is why you need to rotate tires.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

remember you put larger tires on the truck.. you had the truck aligned to factory specs the truck is not sitting at factory specs, are your new tires taller then the stock tires if so your CAMBER is not right causing your tire wear A wider tire can cause your CASTER to be out.. you need to possibly find a experienced alignment guy that can adjust your mesurements to the tire size your running

goodluck

Last edited by seniorFORDtech; 11-25-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by seniorFORDtech
remember you put larger tires on the truck.. you had the truck aligned to factory specs the truck is not sitting at factory specs, are your new tires taller then the stock tires if so your CAMBER is not right causing your tire wear A wider tire can cause your caster to be out.. you need to posible find a experienced alignment guy that can adjust your mesurements to the tire size your running

goodluck

This dude is exactly right. I'd recomend trying to find an "Off Road Shop" that does alignments or a shop that does JUST alignments 'cause the local V.I.P. is not gonna do it right.

Quick Reply: Tires wearing on the outside