Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

tire choice

Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire choice

what tire choice is everyone going to after the scorpions 20 inches are worn down? im looking for something that looks as good as the nitto drags any ideas?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

So you are wanting a high performance summer tire or something to that effect?

If you want a little wider tire maybe as well I would probably recommend the General Grabber UHP in a 295/50R20. Would still fit your rim fine and would be just a hair under 32" tall like stock. Comes out to 31.7" tall.

Not a lot of options out there for high performance tires that will work with our trucks.

Last edited by BassAckwards; 04-13-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:52 AM

yes something a bit wider and maybe a tad thinner around the rim. that has a good sticky grab. whats the difference in a summer and winter tire
Old 04-16-2015, 08:58 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

From the short search I did there aren't any high performance tires for our trucks that would "have less sidewall" and still meet the load rating for our trucks. Your truck needs a tire with at least a 111 Load Index. Any major tire retailer won't mount a tire on your truck with a lower load index than what your truck came with from the factory for liability reasons.

As for the difference in summer/winter tires. The rubber compound is optimized to work best in different temerature ranges. Summer tires should not be ran in temperatures below 40-45 degrees, the rubber will become to hard and be unable to properly grip the road decreasing traction and handling. Winter tires are optimized to work in below freezing temperatures, if run in warm temperatures the soft rubber compound will build up a lot of heat. They will not handle properly and will actually increase your stopping distances in emergency braking situations.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
From the short search I did there aren't any high performance tires for our trucks that would "have less sidewall" and still meet the load rating for our trucks. Your truck needs a tire with at least a 111 Load Index. Any major tire retailer won't mount a tire on your truck with a lower load index than what your truck came with from the factory for liability reasons.

As for the difference in summer/winter tires. The rubber compound is optimized to work best in different temerature ranges. Summer tires should not be ran in temperatures below 40-45 degrees, the rubber will become to hard and be unable to properly grip the road decreasing traction and handling. Winter tires are optimized to work in below freezing temperatures, if run in warm temperatures the soft rubber compound will build up a lot of heat. They will not handle properly and will actually increase your stopping distances in emergency braking situations.

thank you
Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,576 Likes on 6,195 Posts

I recommend the Cooper Discoverer HT Plus. I have it in a 285/50/20 and it is an amazing tire (I am 2wd). Stay away from the Goodyear Eagle GTII, pure crap.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I just went with Nitto Terra Grappler G2's yesterday in 285/55/20. Great looking tire if you want something for all terrain purposes. I'm headed to my ranch later today, I'm sure I'll get to put them to the test with all of the recent rain here in Texas.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Summers22
I recommend the Cooper Discoverer HT Plus. I have it in a 285/50/20 and it is an amazing tire (I am 2wd). Stay away from the Goodyear Eagle GTII, pure crap.
Hi, did the new tyre size fit normally, or did you add spacers? also any rubbing or speedo issues?

Many Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tire choice