Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Questions about wheels and leveling!!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions about wheels and leveling!!!! Help

Hi All,

I have a 2011 F150 and I was hoping to add a 2.5in level to my truck (http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-sus...it-568-20.html). After I level it I was planning on putting on putting 35s on the truck. However, I was told by a friend of mine that it wouldn't work because I need to know how to turn off my "tire pressure sensors" I didn't even know my f150 had these sensors. Also I was told that the differential and rear axel wouldn't be able to turn the larger wheels/tires properly.

So heres my questions

1) What should I do about the tire pressure sensors?
2) Will the truck still be able to run as it should with these bigger tires?

Thanks for your time
Old 09-07-2014, 09:41 PM

1) I have heard a lot about the sensors but never really got a final answer. My f-150 doesn't have them do not really sure about that.
2) I put a 2.5inch level in the front and it only lifted it 2 inches checked before and after measurements. I put 33 on my truck last week and the tires are about half tread and tired all the way I have about a inch of space. I can only imagine yours would be tighter. I have pictures if you wanna see

Hope this helped
Old 09-08-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

You can get your sensors switched to your new tires which I would do. Otherwise you get the sensor light by your odometer and I haven't heard of a way to remove that without putting actual sensors in your tires.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:50 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron Huard
Hi All, I have a 2011 F150 and I was hoping to add a 2.5in level to my truck (http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-sus...it-568-20.html). After I level it I was planning on putting on putting 35s on the truck. However, I was told by a friend of mine that it wouldn't work because I need to know how to turn off my "tire pressure sensors" I didn't even know my f150 had these sensors. Also I was told that the differential and rear axel wouldn't be able to turn the larger wheels/tires properly. So heres my questions 1) What should I do about the tire pressure sensors? 2) Will the truck still be able to run as it should with these bigger tires? Thanks for your time
Not to be rude but your friend has no idea what he is talking about.

1. TPMS CAN NOT be turned off, it is a federally mandated system in your vehicle. If you buy new wheels the tire shop can just put your old ones in your new wheels no problem. If you are just getting new tires then you are still fine.

2. There are people running 40s on these trucks. Will that make the drivetrain wear out faster with out some sort of regearing? Absolutely, but that's every vehicle.

Are they inherently incapable of running such a tire though? Absolutely not, they will do it in a heart beat. He must be joking if he thinks these trucks can't handle a 35"
The following users liked this post:
Cameron Huard (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 07:17 PM

Thanks, your reply was very helpful. If i bought new wheels/tires that had the sensors already in them and mounted them onto my truck, would it sync with my system automatically? Because I am completely taking of the old rims/tires and selling them. I hope I do not need to take off all the wheels and tires and have them switched.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:40 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron Huard
Thanks, your reply was very helpful. If i bought new wheels/tires that had the sensors already in them and mounted them onto my truck, would it sync with my system automatically? Because I am completely taking of the old rims/tires and selling them. I hope I do not need to take off all the wheels and tires and have them switched.
Well with new sensors running ~$90 a piece I would have your old sensors swapped in your new wheels. No reason to pay for something you already own. They are just attached to the valve it's a very simple job.

If you bought new ones however they would have to be "re-learned" to your vehicle.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:35 PM

Exactly what [MENTION=43581]BassAckwards[/MENTION] said.

You'd be way better off to your existing ones and pay them to remove the tires to get your existing sensors out than to buy brand new ones.

And the 35's, yes, will be more of a strain on your truck than the stock tires but the truck is more than capbable of turning them. You will definitely see less MPG though.

Whoever is giving you your information, it would be a good suggestion not to listen to them anymore lol.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 487 Likes on 439 Posts

When I had my 2011 I put a 2 inch level in the front and ran stock Raptor tires/wheels with no issues. Swapped TPMS too.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I just put all new rims and tires and tpms and it learned all on it's own, the light never came on other than to prove out on start up. I figured I would need to program them but nope.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2010 with a 2.5 lift running 315/70/17 tires fills in the wheel wells nicely

Quick Reply: Questions about wheels and leveling!!!! Help