Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Pros/Cons Switching from P to LT tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pros/Cons Switching from P to LT tire?

New to the forum, I'm soaking up as much info as possible. I've recently traded in my Tacoma for a 2011 F150 super crew. It needs new tires and I've got a couple questions.

First, I'd like to go a big bigger, but no so big that I'll affect fuel mileage. I'm thinking 275/70-r18 instead of the 275/65's on there now. I've narrowed it down to either the Goodyear Adventure AT or the Cooper Discoverer AT3. In the larger size, each are only offered in LT. Which, as I understand it means a stiffer sidewall and probably a heavier tire than a P rated tire.

I love how the truck rides now, and I like getting 18mpg highway. Is switching to the LT going to cause negative issues with either of those things? I've never had a full size truck before so I'm still learning.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by foster
New to the forum, I'm soaking up as much info as possible. I've recently traded in my Tacoma for a 2011 F150 super crew. It needs new tires and I've got a couple questions.

First, I'd like to go a big bigger, but no so big that I'll affect fuel mileage. I'm thinking 275/70-r18 instead of the 275/65's on there now. I've narrowed it down to either the Goodyear Adventure AT or the Cooper Discoverer AT3. In the larger size, each are only offered in LT. Which, as I understand it means a stiffer sidewall and probably a heavier tire than a P rated tire.

I love how the truck rides now, and I like getting 18mpg highway. Is switching to the LT going to cause negative issues with either of those things? I've never had a full size truck before so I'm still learning.
From my experiences, the LTs for the most part ride like heck, rough and no sidewall give or flex. This is good if you're towing a lot and regularly, or if you off road in very rocky areas. The LTs will cause a drop in fuel mileage by as much as 2 mpg. I for one stick to P rated tires, I have my 20 inch Pirellis for summer and a set of all terrain General Grabber AT2 for winter/off road.
I tow about 5000# and am happy with P tires.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

My tire of choice...General Grabbers...amazing in winter snow.

The goodyears and coopers you picked aren't bad either, should get decent mileage with them in a P rated on highway.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Unfortunately you can't go any bigger on an 18 without getting LT-Metric tires.

If you went with aftermarket wheels in 20" you could go with P275/60R20 that measure out at 33" tall. But that might be more trouble and money than it's worth.

I would either stay with what you got now or get the LT.

The tire selection for 18" wheels suck unless you are wanting 35"+.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up just going with the stock size p-rated Cooper Discoverer AT3s. Thanks for all the input everyone.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to a lt 275/70/18 toyo at2 and lost a solid 2mpg on the highway and 1 in town. I feel like I needed the LT but I am wondering if I would have lost as much mpg if I would have stuck with the stock size.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by JaredTT
I went to a lt 275/70/18 toyo at2 and lost a solid 2mpg on the highway and 1 in town. I feel like I needed the LT but I am wondering if I would have lost as much mpg if I would have stuck with the stock size.
You wouldn't have lost near the mpg if you stayed with a stock P-Metric. However they do make LT275/65R18 in which case you would likely lose out nearly the same.

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons Switching from P to LT tire?