Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

New truck owner needing some help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New truck owner needing some help.

My Yukon finally died on me after 10 years so the wife caved and let me buy a truck. I went through 82 pages and didn't find an answer so I figured I should just ask to save some time. I just bought a '13 XLT Supercrew 4x2 that has factory 20" wheels with 275/55/20 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza on it. I am trying to avoid adding the level or lift kits, if possible. I like the look of the Nitto Trail Grappler on Fuel Octane or Trophy. I would like them to stick out some, maybe up to an 1". Is there a possible combination with the 20" wheels or will I need to do a 2" level on it or go down to 18"? Thanks for all the input on here, I'm looking forward to decking out my truck.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:09 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

The wheels are what is going to make it stick out. Even if you stick a wider tire on it, it's not going to stick out as much as you're wanting.

And if you get a wheel that sticks out a lot, you won't be able to stick a bigger tire on it without lift.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:59 PM

I am probably way off with how far I want them to stick out. Similar to this from fx4 tuna slayer.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:52 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by heiny007
I am probably way off with how far I want them to stick out. Similar to this from fx4 tuna slayer.
Yeah just tires won't do that. You need rims with a different offset.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I couldn't read past you gave up a Yukon and bought a ford? Don't worry about wheels you will need the money for repairs. hahaha
Old 11-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My first post didn't show to me so I made another one, Sorry I couldn't figure out how to deleate it so you have to read this crap! hahaah
Old 11-09-2014, 01:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I couldn't read past you gave up a Yukon and bought a ford? Don't worry about wheels you will need the money for repairs. hahaha
Why are you on this forum? Thanks for the helpful post
Old 11-09-2014, 09:14 AM

I'm no expert but I've done a lot of reading on the subject since I'm getting new wheels/tires soon. If you want the wheel/tire to stick out it's all about the width of the wheel compared with the offset and backspacing.

Offset Measures the centerline of the wheel to the inside of the wheel that touches the rotor. 0 offset is even, so in essence if the wheel is 8" wide then it goes in and sticks out 4" from where the wheel touches the rotor. Negative offset pushes the wheel out, and positive offset pushes the wheel in.

Backspacing measures the inside of the wheel where it touches the rotor to the edge of the inside lip of the wheel. Bigger backspacing equals sticking out more. It's all a combination of wheel width and offset which calculates the backspacing. Hope this helps.

To decide what you want just search for pics of the specific wheels and see what the offset is. If you like it, buy it. The farther the wheel sticks out typically results in more rubbing on the inside lip of the front fender though.

Last edited by 6fthook; 11-09-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: New truck owner needing some help.