Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Ire Pressure Monitor TPMS Train vs. Relearn

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tire Pressure Monitor TPMS Train vs. Relearn

I finally solved my issues on my 2013 F-150 with the TPMS relearn process and thought I'd post it here since this is a little confusing for probably others here on the forum.

There are TWO different modes of training TPMS sensors:

1. TRAINING TPMS sensors on my truck you push the hazard flasher three times and the truck will enter TRAIN mode. This works ONLY if the sensors are "known" to the TPMS module in the truck!

2. RELEARNING TPMS sensors. This procedure is required after you installed new sensors NOT KNOWN to the truck and must be "learned" first;
FORD TPMS Relearn for Keyed-ignition models:
1) Make sure ALL TIRES ARE INFLATED TO SPEC
2) IGNITION SWITCH in OFF position
3) PRESS AND RELEASE BRAKE PEDAL
4) Turn IGNITION SWITCH TO RUN 3 times ending in RUN (within 10 sec)
5) PRESS AND RELEASE BRAKE PEDAL
6) Turn the ignition switch back to OFF.
7) IGNITION SWITCH TO RUN 3 times ending in RUN (within 10 sec)
8) The HORN SOUND sound indicates vehicle has entered into TPMS RELEARN mode.
10) Place the top of the TPMS triggering tool against the sidewall of the DRIVER’S SIDE FRONT tire in the location of the valve stem. TRIGGER SENSOR, wait until the horn sounds
11) Once the horn sounds, move on to the PASSENGER SIDE FRONT tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.
12) Once horn sounds continue on to the PASEENGER SIDE REAR tire and
13) Once horn sounds continue on to the DRIVER’S SIDE REAR tire.
14) You may now turn the ignition to OFF.
· If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully.
· If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

I had tried to "learn" the sensors in my new wheels using the "flasher" procedure but this will NOT work with new sensors.

BTW All radio frequency TPMS sensors (not the early magnetic type!) run on the 315 Mhz frequency and will trigger "EZ" sensors such as VDO Redi-Sensors or Schrader.

Last edited by Alex D; 01-31-2016 at 10:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bmwhite (02-22-2020)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting... last Saturday morning Discount Tire near my house installed new BFG KO2's on my new Pro Comp wheels using TPMS sensors from the stock wheels... Later that day I got a TPMS fault warning. The pressure reading screen in the instrument panel display shows the right rear with two dashes instead of a pressure reading indicating sensor failure.

Went back to tire dealer and they tried to retrain or relearn or whatever to fix the problem... Interestingly, the right rear TPMS sensor is not sending a signal to the panel display, but the left rear sensor is the one the tech couldn't get to work using the handheld scanner tool thingy. Anyway, to their credit they ordered a TPMS sensor from Ford to get it right for me, on their dime. I like Discount Tire.

Hopefully, when the sensor shows up, they'll start from scratch and relearn and retrain all four sensors to get me back to situation normal.

Quick Reply: Ire Pressure Monitor TPMS Train vs. Relearn