Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Duratracs vs Trail Grapplers vs BFG KM2's

Old 09-06-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Duratracs vs Trail Grapplers vs BFG KM2's

Trying to decide and wanting some input. Have a 2013 XLT 4WD Supercrew 5.0. Stock tires are just not getting it done on the ranch. Had 285/65/18 terra grapplers on my 2004 - great ride but they just don't clean out at all when you get in a little mud. So I am considering something a little more aggressive in a 285/70/17 (or 285/75/17 if they will fit after leveling) but do not want to go to a full blown MT since I spend 98% of my time in everything else but the mud (with no snow). I have narrowed it down to the three above, but I am open to other suggestions. Have concerns over all three - Duratracs seem to be more on the AT side and I am left wondering how well they will clean out. Trail Grapplers are +/- 15% heavier than the other two - not sure that I should worried about this but it seems like a reasonable concern when it come to mpg's, and the KM2's well they are suppose to be noisy (I guess I could solve this with the radio volume like others but don't want to if there is an alternative). So please share your thoughts and experiences and help me make the right choice I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:33 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

The DuraTrac is closer to a mud terrain than all terrain. It's in the "Commercial Traction" category between AT and MT. They clean out very well, biggest downside of them is they have a 2-ply sidewall, but not really an issue unless you are running really low pressures off road or have a super heavy truck like an F350.

Terra Grappler, I sell so many of these things it's not even funny. I get tired of seeing them honestly, good road manners decent off road ability.

KM2s are a great tire for almost any type of Off road condition, mud, dirt, rocks you name it. They wear decently, a little noisy, probably the least desirable of the set if your truck is mostly on pavement because that's not where they are best suited. Off-road this would be better than your other choices, but for the road I would pick one of the others.

Hope that helps.

Edit: BFG KO2 will also be out soon!

https://www.f150forum.com/f31/bfg-t-...ov-1st-272529/

Last edited by BassAckwards; 09-08-2014 at 04:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LeGrand (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Thanks BassAckwards - That's exactly the kind of input I am looking for. I appreciate your comments on terra grapplers, however I had them before and did not like them and was considering TRAIL grapplers instead. Have you had much experience with them?

As for the KO's I cant wait that long and it looks like the size that I desire will not be on the initial release. But thanks for offering up the alternative.

Anybody else with any thoughts? Thanks in advance....
Old 09-08-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I work up in canada in the oil field and we run duratracs on our survey truck and they crawl through any type of mud and snow. People say they pick up a lot of trash and you get a lot of flats with them but with 60,000kms on them no flats and they still look brand new. Hope that helps!
LeGrand (09-09-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 07:12 PM
I Like Tires

Originally Posted by LeGrand
Thanks BassAckwards - That's exactly the kind of input I am looking for. I appreciate your comments on terra grapplers, however I had them before and did not like them and was considering TRAIL grapplers instead. Have you had much experience with them?

As for the KO's I cant wait that long and it looks like the size that I desire will not be on the initial release. But thanks for offering up the alternative.

Anybody else with any thoughts? Thanks in advance....
Sorry, I thought you were asking about the terra.

Trails are more road friendly then the KM2 and last a little longer. Not going to perform as well in a lot of different types of terrain then the KM2.
They are a good tire, and very widely available and common much like the other Toyo and Nittos.

Another option to check out is the Nitto ExoGrappler and the Toyo Open Country RT, they came out about a month ago but are fairly expensive from what I'm hearing.

As a side note, I do have a preference towards the DuraTrac. I got 50k miles out of mine and the only real complaint I have is the ride is pretty stiff for only having a 2 ply sidewall.
LeGrand (09-09-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had good luck with the KOs on other vehicles, and the new KOs looks awesome! I do some off road, but mainly highway and snowboarding in the winter. I think i just found my next tire.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:36 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Just wore out a set of KM2’s... 52K miles have a set of trail’s on now... the KM2’s a a tad louder than the Trail’s and the trail’s are a hell of a lot cheaper than the KM2’s.. don’t know how long the Trail’s will last...
LeGrand (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 09:41 AM

Thanks Saskyboy84 for your input. From looking at them the tread design just looks like it would not clean out that well, but you guys running them should know.

BassAckwards again I appreciate the input and will look at the Exograppler and the Open Country RT.

Techrep - 52k miles I will take anyday. Not sure what your setup is but did you notice any difference in MPG or acceleration with the trail grapplers since they are a heavier tire?

Thanks guys for your input. Keep it coming!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also work in the Canadian oil field. The Duratracs are the go to tire up here for work and personal trucks. The mud in this area is very thick and sticky and the Duratracs clear it very well. In an area like this, where 90% of people drive trucks and SUV's, the Duratracs are on 3 of every 5 trucks at least.
LeGrand (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 10:20 AM
I Like Tires

Originally Posted by techrep
Just wore out a set of KM2’s... 52K miles have a set of trail’s on now... the KM2’s a a tad louder than the Trail’s and the trail’s are a hell of a lot cheaper than the KM2’s.. don’t know how long the Trail’s will last...
I agree 52k is very good I would take that as well. I've wanted to see what my buddy gets out of his but he changes wheels and tires as much as a girl changes clothes so he's got 2 sets of KM2s mounted on rims for spares lol 345/75R16 and 365/75R16. Now he is running on 22x14 American Force and 37x13.50R22 Trail Graps and he likes then a lot even though they are wearing out weird because they are to narrow for his rim :facepalm:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Duratracs vs Trail Grapplers vs BFG KM2's