Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Bigger Tires, Leveled = Less Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 AM
Bodragaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bigger Tires, Leveled = Less Gas Mileage

I just leveled my '05 F150 FX Crew Cab, to accomodate 18" Wheels and 305/65/R18 BFG ATs. Prior to my mods, I was getting 14 MPG in the city... now I'm getting 11.3 MPG in town! I'm considering the Edge Evolution, K&N Cold Air Intake and a Cat-Back Exhaust. Has anyone had any positive experience with these modifications? Better MPG - possibly!?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Formerly "ZCHPRO"

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

bigger tires always cause a decrease. Did you reprogram the speedometer? Also I did the gotts mod but didn't get a gain because my truck isn't working too well right now. Programmers should help but not that much.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Do you have them fully inflated? And is your speedo calibrated? Cuz I went to larger tires and its the same as going from a 3.73 rear end to a 3.55 (Not exactly the same just giving an example). Makes your Gear Ratio taller and that gives you better mileage. I havent seen any decrease in mileage and the Edge Evo only made my mileage better.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodragaz
I just leveled my '05 F150 FX Crew Cab, to accomodate 18" Wheels and 305/65/R18 BFG ATs. Prior to my mods, I was getting 14 MPG in the city... now I'm getting 11.3 MPG in town! I'm considering the Edge Evolution, K&N Cold Air Intake and a Cat-Back Exhaust. Has anyone had any positive experience with these modifications? Better MPG - possibly!?
That size tire is close to 34 inches tall but weigh's more then the stocker's. Stop and go driving with larger tires eat's up gas and also your brakes. 2 mpg is about average you will lose with 34 or 35's in the city. Highway driving is not too bad of a decrease because they drop ypur rpm's down at crusing speed's. I would advise a programmer to adjust for the taller tires but a cold air intake may cause you to go with custom tunes. I ran 315x70x17 BFG's for year's and got 13-14 city and 16-18 hwy with the Edge Evo set on level 2 and running 3.73 gear's.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Bodragaz

So, when a guy puts bigger tires/wheels on, he should calibrate the speedometer? How do you do that?
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Bodragaz

Originally Posted by PawPaw
That size tire is close to 34 inches tall but weigh's more then the stocker's. Stop and go driving with larger tires eat's up gas and also your brakes. 2 mpg is about average you will lose with 34 or 35's in the city. Highway driving is not too bad of a decrease because they drop ypur rpm's down at crusing speed's. I would advise a programmer to adjust for the taller tires but a cold air intake may cause you to go with custom tunes. I ran 315x70x17 BFG's for year's and got 13-14 city and 16-18 hwy with the Edge Evo set on level 2 and running 3.73 gear's.
So, you recommend the Evo, but would not suggest the CIA? I just installed a new Cat-Back exhaust today. Would you suggest going for the Evo next? Not sure how the whole "custome tune" thing works.
Thanks, Bro!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:39 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodragaz
So, you recommend the Evo, but would not suggest the CIA? I just installed a new Cat-Back exhaust today. Would you suggest going for the Evo next? Not sure how the whole "custome tune" thing works.
Thanks, Bro!
Some people say that CAI w/ Edge Evo will run your engine lean and some other people say they run both and they do fine. I don't run both, I dont even have performance exhaust at the moment just the Edge so I can't tell you if it does or not. How to recalibrate your speedo though? You need to buy a speedometer calibrator, or the Edge Evo as it will calibrate your speedo for larger tires as well.

Quick Reply: Bigger Tires, Leveled = Less Gas Mileage