Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

BFGoodrich T/A KO2's vs Nitto Trail Grappers

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts
Default BFGoodrich T/A KO2's vs Nitto Trail Grappers

I need a little advice...

2016 XLT FX4 Screw. Doing a 2" level (maybe 1" rear block later down the road) with 17x9 XD Addict +18 offset and 35x12.5x17 tires. I've gone back and forth for weeks about this and it's killing me haha. I found quite a few forums comparing the Nitto Terra Grapplers to the KO 2's, but not the Trail Grapplers. Obviously I'm aware the Trail Grappler is a mud tire and the KO 2 is an all terrain. My truck is mostly a pavement queen, but may see some offroading once in a blue moon. Would you guys recommend the Trail Grapplers for a daily driver 40 miles round trip? I've had the KO's and KO2's and LOVED them, but always felt like my tires were never "meaty" enough. The only problem with "meaty" comes a harsher ride, more road noise, and worse fuel economy. Though I felt that the lack of "meaty" was with 33's and a level, I've never ran 35's. So possibly the BFG's could look "meaty" enough in a 35"? My buddy just bought a 2014 FX4 with 35" Trail Grapplers and the ride isn't as bad as I thought, but I'm worried I may get sick of it after a few months.

Thoughts?
Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

a buddy has some trails for his chevy and they ride rough like a muuuuug! i don't like 'em. I live about 10 minutes from the beach and hardly go. mine is all city driving and really like the KO2's.
The following users liked this post:
speeddemon0712 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Also consider Nitto's new Ridge Grappler. I have a set of them already. Can't speak to their use yet, but they look like they will be awesome off road.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Martian
Also consider Nitto's new Ridge Grappler. I have a set of them already. Can't speak to their use yet, but they look like they will be awesome off road.
I actually just found those! Discount Tire is getting me a quote on them now.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:22 PM

I ordered my wheels and tires through Discount Tire Saturday. I got the XD Addicts 17x9 +18 offset and BFG T/A KO2's in a 35x12.5x17. I couldn't bring myself to buying mud tires just for the look. Plus, I saved almost $200 by going all terrain over mud tire. I feel like overtime I'd get sick of the rougher ride and road noise. I've had the original KO's (years ago) and a set of the KO2's on my last truck and LOVED everything about them. I'm sticking with what I know and love. I'll post pics this weekend once my level, wheels, and tires are on!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Never going back to Trail Grapplers. I'm looking at STT Pro's next. Best looking tire and quietest M/T you can find coming from many many people who have tried them all.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by berty
Never going back to Trail Grapplers. I'm looking at STT Pro's next. Best looking tire and quietest M/T you can find coming from many many people who have tried them all.
What didn't you like about them? My buddy has them on his '14 FX4 and they're not too bad. 12k miles and the tread seems to be wearing evenly and not too fast. Should get 40k + out of them hopefully.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Originally Posted by speeddemon0712
What didn't you like about them? My buddy has them on his '14 FX4 and they're not too bad. 12k miles and the tread seems to be wearing evenly and not too fast. Should get 40k + out of them hopefully.
Tread life isn't an issue, they will get you to 40k without a problem. But they are fairly noisy and very rough, find conversations at highway speed are a bit difficult in the second half of its life. Did well in soft snow but have been scary on wet roads and ice. It isn't so much that they were bad, they were pretty good tires, but everybody I know who had these and switched to STT Pros said the difference is extreme (and this is over a dozen people I've spoken to). The STT Pros are just better in every way they say.

I'll find out first hand soon enough, just trying to wear these down all the way before I switch likely just before winter.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by berty
Tread life isn't an issue, they will get you to 40k without a problem. But they are fairly noisy and very rough, find conversations at highway speed are a bit difficult in the second half of its life. Did well in soft snow but have been scary on wet roads and ice. It isn't so much that they were bad, they were pretty good tires, but everybody I know who had these and switched to STT Pros said the difference is extreme (and this is over a dozen people I've spoken to). The STT Pros are just better in every way they say.

I'll find out first hand soon enough, just trying to wear these down all the way before I switch likely just before winter.
Ok that makes sense. Yeah the guy at Discount said he had the Trail Grapplers on his last truck, and though they were good tires overall, he didn't feel safe driving on the highway in the rain. Now he has the BFG KO2's and won't go back haha. I feel like I made the good choice.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

I've heard good things about the KO2's, I think you made the right decision as well lol

Quick Reply: BFGoodrich T/A KO2's vs Nitto Trail Grappers