Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

BFG KO2 vs Cooper AT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default BFG KO2 vs Cooper AT3

I'm finally going to get rid of my Pirelli Scorpion ATR's after 15,000 miles of sliding around and terrible traction. Can't decide between the BF Goodrich AT KO2's or the Cooper Discoverer AT3's. I live in PA, so I'm dealing with snowy and terrible roads every winter. Looking to use the same size as stock. Opinions? Suggestions?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:40 PM
wheel and tire expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took the AT3s off my 12 fx4. Less then 7000 miles on them and they were the loudest AT tire I've driven on in years. The tires were installed by the dealer that I bought the truck from so I wasn't out any money. I sell tires for a living so this came as a shock to me as they look like a nice tire. I was also not to impressed with the snow traction. I went with the Goodyear Wrangler dura Trac and they are actually quieter! KO2 was not avaliable in my size yet.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:58 PM
2014 STX SCREW

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

I also have a set of AT3s on my truck but they've got about 35,000 miles on them and 8/32 tread remaining. I was actually impressed with how quiet they were when I put them on. I think they were just as quiet as the Bridgestone Duelers that came stock.

I have been impressed with the traction in dirt, mud, rocks and gravel but I am not impressed with the snow traction. I have put my truck in 4wd most of this week...the rear end just wants to slide all over.

I'm in WV but travel I79 up towards Clarksburg/Morgantown, WV and out towards Monessen, PA on a regular basis.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fx4blues
I just took the AT3s off my 12 fx4. Less then 7000 miles on them and they were the loudest AT tire I've driven on in years. The tires were installed by the dealer that I bought the truck from so I wasn't out any money. I sell tires for a living so this came as a shock to me as they look like a nice tire. I was also not to impressed with the snow traction. I went with the Goodyear Wrangler dura Trac and they are actually quieter! KO2 was not avaliable in my size yet.
I know every situation is different but in my case its opposite of what you said.
When I purchased my truck it had the duratracs on it, they were already slightly wore and very loud. Before I got my straight pipe on, I would pass a friend and they said all they could hear is vvrrroooomm from my tires. Then again, they were 10 plys.
I now have the Cooper AT3's and have liked them but they seem to be wearing a little fast, but I do have constant issues under the front end.
They felt and sounded like Caddy status I noticed as soon as I drove on them, but I agree, not snow tires, plus my trucks 2WD, I get stuck in wet grass.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

I have two sets of the AT3's, and a set of Discoverer M+S tires. I love them. The AT3's have great traction. Even on wet roads I can take off with little spin, providing I'm not real hard on the throttle. They brake well too. On the road they are just a little louder than my stock Goodyears. They have a good ride. Of course this is all subjective. Has a lot to do with vehicle dynamics, etc.. I have property in Burlington, West Virginia. I have now problems in them there hills, even in mud. I also tow a Polaris Ranger HD in a 7x14 Enclosed tandem axle trailer up the mountain with no problem. The first set of AT3's I put on stock rims. When I decided on what chrome rims I wanted, I bought another set of AT3's to put on them. I wanted to have a spare set incase of some type of mishap. The first set of AT3's had about 21,000 miles on them when I took them off. They looked to have about 2/3 of tread left and were all wearing evenly. The second set that are on the chrome rims have had about 14,000 miles on them when I pulled them off for the winter. They have a little less tread on them than the first set. But, I was "playing" a little more this summer. I agree with brianw0048 about snow traction. I had no problem getting going, but it took a little more dilagence and some feathering. And slid quiet a bit when I wanted to stop........So, Enter the Discoverer M+S winter tires. Hooray!!!!!!!! I usually stud my winter tires, but I didn't this go around. It's the first set of winter tires for the truck and I didn't know what the dynamics would be with stud. Typically a vehicle with studs is a bit unstable compared to street tires. But they Have Been Great! So, yea, Coopers for me.

Quick Reply: BFG KO2 vs Cooper AT3