Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

Best chrome wheel polish? (Aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best chrome wheel polish? (Aftermarket)

Ok, before some knucklehead jumps on me this post is intended for aftermarket wheels only. The chrome on aftermarket wheels is typically thinner than OEM wheels. Thats really the only stipulation.

I have the chrome KMC XD Series Hoss wheels. Im looking for a good polish for them since summer is approaching and I will be putting them back on soon! I have had my wheels for about 4 years now and they are not nearly as shiny as they once were. And if you look at them in the right light it would appear to be millions of micro scratches. Didn't know if there was a way to polish them out, and protect from future wear?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Picked up some stuff called "Never Dull" or something like that at Walmart.. Wipe it on the wheels and wipe it off.. I don't think I'd call it a polish, but for like 7 or 8 bucks thought I would try it. It claims to be a "cleaner" I believe but it does make my OEM wheels shine pretty good
Old 04-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Lifelong F-150 fan

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have always used Turtle Wax brand Chrome polish over the last 20+ years with excellent results. It is white and mildly abrasive and removes all kinds of crap from wheels and bumpers, like light rust, water spots, bugs, tar, etc. I loved it on my old American Racing wheels.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

To get better result, use wheel wax after using any polishing product.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

I have KMC Skitch Chrome rims on my Lariat. Nevr-Dull is excellent. Been using it for years. It will remove rust, grime, salt, tar, etc.. In the case of damaged wheels, nothing will remove heavy pits. But Nevr-Dull gives it a valiant effort. Sometimes if the muck is really hard to remove, I'll take Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover, in the spray bottle, and squirt a tiny bit on the wad of Nevr-Dull. Works well. The trick is to immediately remove the haze as you work. Do one section at a time. Once you're done give the chrome a good does of wax. I just put my KMC's back on for the summer. In early December I put winter tires on. Because of my bad back issues, they sat in the bed of my truck for about two weeks before I was able to get someone to help me get them out. When I pulled them out last week, the salt and grime that was left on them was really horrible to remove. But the Nevr-Dull with the Bug and Tar remover did the trick. As I did a section I would use the wad to remove the muck and junk. Then I used the Meguires, I think it was?, cone shaped wheel buffer with my cordless drill to buff the residue off. Did the tight areas by hand. Then I put a nice coat of wax on them.

Last edited by Scarlet; 04-29-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Lifelong F-150 fan

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by karlmag
To get better result, use wheel wax after using any polishing product.
Definitely wax after polishing. I use Meguiars NXT wax after the chrome polish and the shine lasts quite a while. Wax will also allow you to use Quik-Detailer on your rims several times before you have to re-polish and re-wax.

Quick Reply: Best chrome wheel polish? (Aftermarket)