Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

2015 Platinum minimum wheel size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Platinum minimum wheel size?

Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum. I've searched through several threads trying to get an answer, talked with my dealership, and even called Ford Customer Service directly. Of course Ford told me I shouldn't change anything after it left the factory (not really surprising).
I spoke with my dealership and they thought that the minimum I could go with is 18" because any smaller would interfere with the brakes. However, I've read a little online that says 17" is the minimum. I even see the 2015 XL comes with 17" wheels.
I currently own a 2013 Raptor with the factory SVT bead lock rims and I like that wheel size (I've never been fond of the larger wheels). I plan to lift the Platinum and add BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires on, hopefully, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock rims. Mickey Thompson quit making those rims, but there's still a lot for sale elsewhere. Unfortunately my options are fairly limited so finding the size I want/need is difficult.
Before I drag this out any longer I'll just state my question: I was just curious if anybody knew if I could fit 17" wheels on the 2015 Platinum or not?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AH13; 04-24-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Ford Accessories Manager

Received 188 Likes on 148 Posts

Yup, you're good with 17". Tons of aftermarket suppliers offer them for that truck. Also, Ford will most likely offer a 17" steel rim for winter tire packages on that truck, just like on the 09-14.
The following users liked this post:
AH13 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by AH13
Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum. I've searched through several threads trying to get an answer, talked with my dealership, and even called Ford Customer Service directly. Of course Ford told me I shouldn't change anything after it left the factory (not really surprising).
My dealership is fairly small and hasn't dealt with the 2015 models much yet so I couldn't get a great answer from them. They thought that the minimum I could go with is 18" because any smaller would interfere with the brakes. However, I've read a little online that says 17" is the minimum. I even see the 2015 XL comes with 17" wheels.
I currently own a 2013 Raptor with the factory SVT bead lock rims and I like that wheel size (I've never been fond of the larger wheels). I plan to lift the Platinum and add BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires on, hopefully, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock rims. Mickey Thompson quit making those rims, but there's still a lot for sale elsewhere. Unfortunately my options are fairly limited so finding the size I want/need is difficult.
Before I drag this out any longer I'll just state my question: I was just curious if anybody knew if I could fit 17" wheels on the 2015 Platinum or not?
Thanks in advance!
17's should fit as long as they are 6x135mm lug pattern. The 17" Raptor wheels are ideal to clear larger tires on a leveled 4x4...if you go with a full suspension lift you'd want to check with the manufacturer to see the recommended wheel specs to clear the new front suspension pieces.
The following users liked this post:
AH13 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpresswayFord
Yup, you're good with 17". Tons of aftermarket suppliers offer them for that truck. Also, Ford will most likely offer a 17" steel rim for winter tire packages on that truck, just like on the 09-14.
Thanks! I appreciate your quick responses.
Maybe it was just those Mickey Thompson Classic Lock rims that won't fit properly. I'll have to ask them again. I've seen those rims on the '13 and '14 models and from what I know Ford hasn't changed the brake set-up much, if at all.
If anybody has any insight into that as well it would be much appreciated.
I'll try calling my dealership again this afternoon and ask them to look into it more.

Last edited by AH13; 04-24-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Platinum minimum wheel size?