Topic Sponsor
Wheels & Tires Let's talk Wheels & Tires here!

2012 F150 Level Kit Fail...Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 F150 Level Kit Fail...Help needed

Installed the level kit and it looks great. However this truck is my wife's daily driver. She is 5ft. tall and now she is stating that with the level she doesn't feel as comfortable driving it as the front is higher now (she was 100% comfortable with it before she states). Now while I don't understand how it has caused such a change for her the fact remains that she doesn't like it.

I had the wheels and tires picked out (fuel Lethal 20x9) with Toyo Xtreme Open Country AT 295/60/20 but it looks like i need to figure out some things before i pull the trigger on these.

First question:
If i were to uninstall the level kit what is the max size tire i could run with no rubbing.

Second Question:
If I were to put a one inch block in the rear do you think it would set the rake back to somewhat stock feel for the driver. Are there other rear end lifts that i should look into if this is an option (adding leafs).

Third Question:
I believe that a 2 inch leveling kit was used. Are there, lets say, 1 inch kits that would still allow me to clear the tire set up i was looking at.

Last Question:
Anyone else have a short wife and experienced this type of proboem
Old 07-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

a 2" seat cushion should do the trick..
Old 07-11-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
a 2" seat cushion should do the trick..

haha yea I provided many smart A@# suggestions and don't know if that helped the situation.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

When I was doing my kit, I put the spacer in first, drove a day, then put the 1" block in the rear and that's how it sits now. I do remember there being a significant difference without the block. Without the factory rake the truck did have a larger feel when driving just because the nose sat up higher. Hard to say if that is what is getting to your wife or not.

Dont forget the tires will add another inch or two to the height of the vehicle as well.

1" kits will let you clear larger tires, I'm not sure how much larger though. Blocks or leafs for the rear.... the blocks will feel stock and the leafs will make it stiffer. Those are all the answers I can provide at this time haha
Old 07-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by berty
When I was doing my kit, I put the spacer in first, drove a day, then put the 1" block in the rear and that's how it sits now. I do remember there being a significant difference without the block. Without the factory rake the truck did have a larger feel when driving just because the nose sat up higher. Hard to say if that is what is getting to your wife or not.

Dont forget the tires will add another inch or two to the height of the vehicle as well.

Yes that is exactly what she is stating, the NOSE is higher and harder to see the road/lines.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Originally Posted by sbv32
Yes that is exactly what she is stating, the NOSE is higher and harder to see the road/lines.
Okay then yeah I would throw an extra 1" block in the rear OR replace the factory block with a 3" and get some new shocks. Should give her much more visibility and you can still get your big boy tires on! lol

Do the block first cause those are easy to take off and sell, the tires I would hold off on until she knows she likes the feel... those are hard to return lol
Old 07-11-2016, 12:11 PM

Okay then yeah I would throw an extra 1" block in the rear OR replace the factory block with a 3" and get some new shocks. Should give her much more visibility and you can still get your big boy tires on! lol

Do the block first cause those are easy to take off and sell, the tires I would hold off on until she knows she likes the feel... those are hard to return lol
Thanks, any benefit to doing 3inch with shocks vs just extra 1" block?

Don't know if it makes a difference but the truck drives about 8k a year and tows a boat for short distance and maybe one long trip with the boat a year.

Thanks again for all the info/advise.

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

More rake lol honestly it would probably make more sense for you to just do the 3" block and new shocks. Means nothing when towing the boat, you'll have that rake to protect you from squatting (the lift doesn't mean much).

8k a year is nothing my friend, I put my level on in December I think and have close to 20k on it in only 8 months and I dont even consider that a lot. How big is the boat and are you rocking a 5.0 or EB? The larger tires might make towing a bit more sluggish but its not really much of an issue if you're only towing here and there
Old 07-11-2016, 12:20 PM

More rake lol honestly it would probably make more sense for you to just do the 3" block and new shocks. Means nothing when towing the boat, you'll have that rake to protect you from squatting (the lift doesn't mean much).

8k a year is nothing my friend, I put my level on in December I think and have close to 20k on it in only 8 months and I dont even consider that a lot. How big is the boat and are you rocking a 5.0 or EB? The larger tires might make towing a bit more sluggish but its not really much of an issue if you're only towing here and there
Awesome.

I have the EB and Im pulling a 21ft 4k lb boat so nothing major. However, we have been looking at some pull behind campers that weigh a bit more so guess I need to reconsider that also.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 Level Kit Fail...Help needed