Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Worried about my new speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worried about my new speakers.

....OK so I spent a good part of the afternoon Building speaker adapter plates pulling wires and mounting woofers,tweeters and crossovers. Thought I would check out the sound compared to the factory speakers so I just did the drivers door. Hooked up to the factory head unit and these things sound like crap! You can hardly even hear the tweeter. The factory speaker in the other door sounds good compared to these. OK so I haven't hooked up my amp yet,figured I would get the speakers mounted first. Will these things sound better after I get it hooked up to them. I mean I know they will play louder but will they improve at low volumes as well? Speakers are Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5cs. Here are the specs.......

RSd 6-1/2" 2-way Component Speakers System
Power Handling: Peak 120 watts / RMS 60 watts
Interwoven Tinsel Leads
Optimized Magnet/Motor Structure
Sensitivity: 88 dB
Frequency Response: 45 Hz - 20 kHz
4 Ohm Impedance
Injection Molded, Aluminum Plated Polypropylene Cone
Butyl Rubber Surround
Rigid Powder Coated Steel Frame

RSd 65 cs - Phoenix Gold 6.5" Radial Sd 2-way Component System RSd65cs RSd-65-cs
Old 11-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Audio Junkie

Well the sensitivity is good on those so it should be alright. Maybe there tweeters arent as good idk. But your amp will help are you going with the stock deck? And maybe your speakers just need a little more power to sound good sometimes you can under power speakers.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The amp will make a world of difference. 88dB isn't that sensitive. Those speakers are known for being a great value but they need some power to make them come alive.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 PM

....Yep I'm going with the stock head unit because I don't want to lose my sync. I was hoping the Amp was gonna make a big difference but I didn't know(or understand)how it could improve sound quality at low volumes. I didn't have enough daylight to finish up the install yesterday and probably won't until next weekend. I read a lot of reviews saying how these speakers were unbelievable for the money. So I was kinda expecting more out of them even on the stock head unit. I placed the tweeters in the kick panels because I had read they would have better imaging there but if the woofer overpowers them(with the amp)like it is now I will probably have to move them up into the sail panels. By the way were does everyone mount there crossovers? Right now I just zip tied them up under the dash until I can figure out a good spot for them.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I put in a set of Infinity Kappa 6x8 Components up front and a set of Kappa 6x8 coax in the rear doors a couple of weeks ago, made a difference. This past weekend I finished up with the system by adding a Infinity Kappa 4 amp. They scream now!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Audio Junkie

Originally Posted by wildturkey_hunter
....Yep I'm going with the stock head unit because I don't want to lose my sync. I was hoping the Amp was gonna make a big difference but I didn't know(or understand)how it could improve sound quality at low volumes. I didn't have enough daylight to finish up the install yesterday and probably won't until next weekend. I read a lot of reviews saying how these speakers were unbelievable for the money. So I was kinda expecting more out of them even on the stock head unit. I placed the tweeters in the kick panels because I had read they would have better imaging there but if the woofer overpowers them(with the amp)like it is now I will probably have to move them up into the sail panels. By the way were does everyone mount there crossovers? Right now I just zip tied them up under the dash until I can figure out a good spot for them.
Well it makes sense that these speakers need a little more power to come alive. And an amp will amplify all your signals and some amps can help with clarity. When you hook up your componets if your worried about your tweeters being overpowered most componet sets come with two tweeter conection options. there is a -3 db drop hook up and a normal one. I usually do the -3 db drop. But if you feel like they are being underpowered do the opposite. and if that still isnt enough try to drop your eq on your deck and raise your tweeters. This will be a three stage eq (probably). So drop your bass and mid by one and highs one higher than those. Maybe with all of those you can get those tweeters to blend a little better.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke with a guy today that has installed several systems for people,while he doesn't do it for a living I think he knows what he's talking about. He told me that speakers with that sensitivity rating and those RMS values need to be amplified to sound any good at all. According to him my stock head unit is probably not putting out more than 15 to 20 watts and about a good chunk of that is being eaten up by the passive crossovers. He says I'm probably only getting the minimum amount of power to them for them to do anything. He thinks as soon as I Amp them I'll be blown away. That makes me feel much better!! So now I can't wait to start throwing 75 watts RMS at them instead of 5 or what ever it is now. Got to get some time to install that AMP!!!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Audio Junkie

Yeah man that makes sense. I have installed a couple systems and a rule i was always told was never hook up componets withought an amp. But it should sound good man. I personally think you should get an after market deck or a sound processing unit to clear up your system further. Let us know how it all works out man.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I seriously doubt that your head unit is putting out even 10W.

Quick Reply: Worried about my new speakers.