Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Wiring Issue, I'm stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Issue, I'm stumped.

Paragraphs made for ease of reading lol, since this is a mouthful.
I have an 87 F150 that came with an aftermarket wiring harness, so naturally I went to the junk yard and picked up a headunit for it, I got a great deal on a Sony Xplod unit too, with the aux input and everything, either way.
I ended up leaving the truck at my moms house for a few months due to a trip and I took everything out of the truck that was of value to me (i.e. the headunit) because she lives in the ghetto and I dont want my stuff stolen.
EITHER WAY, I got back recently and went to hook up my headunit, the screen didnt come on, but the headunit could still eject discs, so, I checked all of my wires again, and tried again. Nothing. So, I got frustrated and went to Best Buy and bought a new Kenwood Headunit.
The guy who wired up my headunit had some of the wires all messed up and such, and for some reason the illumination wire and the ignition wire were connected, I cant figure out why. But I soldered all of the wires up how they should be except the power, illumination, ground, ect. I just electric taped those together in case I had to change it.
I plugged it all in and nothing. In fact it had the same problem. No lights, could eject discs. So I plugged in the illumination wire and the ignition wire into the 12V Constant, and VOILA! It worked, but. That isnt the right way to do things and my HU would be on forever that way.
So my question is. Do you think that my red wire (ignition) isnt giving off a signal/charge?
Where does this red wire connect to other than the HU? Is it at the ignition switch on the steering column?

Thanks for any help!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 PM
lol, wut

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Red wire is ignition switched 12v and would be connected to the radio fuse in the fuse block. I'm not sure where it goes after that. I'd check the fuse first and if it's good, maybe try bypassing it by wiring the red wire to another ignition switched hot line. Though, if the red wire isn't getting any voltage, the radio wouldn't turn on at all.

It's a bit kludgy, but it could work as long as you don't exceed the amps rating of the secondary switched 12v source.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by raduque
Red wire is ignition switched 12v and would be connected to the radio fuse in the fuse block. I'm not sure where it goes after that. I'd check the fuse first and if it's good, maybe try bypassing it by wiring the red wire to another ignition switched hot line. Though, if the red wire isn't getting any voltage, the radio wouldn't turn on at all.

It's a bit kludgy, but it could work as long as you don't exceed the amps rating of the secondary switched 12v source.
Got a 12 volt tester?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made my own fix for it, took the ignition, dash, and illumination, and 12v constant from the HU, and soldered them together, then connected to a switch, and connected the other end to the 12v constant with power.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Yellow on deck needs 12v at all times
Red on deck needs 12v only when the key is on
Black on deck is ground
Orange/white is illumination
Blue/white is amp remote turn-on
Blueis power antenna

Speakers .. solid color is positive, black stripe is negative
Left front is white
Right front is gray