Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Wiring door speakers to amp. Need help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Southern 4 Life

Received 96 Likes on 94 Posts
Unhappy Wiring door speakers to amp. Need help asap!

I recently ordered 4 pioneer ts-d6802r 2 way speakers and a gm6500 amplifier to power them. I have the amplifier hooked up to the headunit as I should and have ran heavier duty speaker wire through the door to the new speakers. My problem is the tweeters are not working! It's ticking me off, I get a little bit of music sound but no voice at all and the sound is very very low, but when I plug it back into the factory + - wires it works like it should? I have the positives and negatives hooked up right with the new speaker wire. So whats wrong?!?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have a crossover enabled on the amp?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackThundah
I recently ordered 4 pioneer ts-d6802r 2 way speakers and a gm6500 amplifier to power them. I have the amplifier hooked up to the headunit as I should and have ran heavier duty speaker wire through the door to the new speakers. My problem is the tweeters are not working! It's ticking me off, I get a little bit of music sound but no voice at all and the sound is very very low, but when I plug it back into the factory + - wires it works like it should? I have the positives and negatives hooked up right with the new speaker wire. So whats wrong?!?
You don't have the tweeters hooked up with your new speaker wire
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
You don't have the tweeters hooked up with your new speaker wire
He said that they are 2-ways not components.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Southern 4 Life

Yeah there 2 ways and as far as the crossover goes I don't think so. Each individual speaker has a 2 way crossover built into it. I've only hooked up one speaker so far because I wanted to test everything and I'm glad I did. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out the problem. The other 3 old ones are still in there and work fine, so I know its not the head unit.

Here is a link to the speakers:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QK1scje...ml#details-tab

And some pictures: (There not the best, so sorry about that)

Okay I'm holding the factory wires for positive and negative. Both the old and new speakers work perfect hooked up to these. On the right are the speaker adapter wires that came with the speakers hooked up to speaker wire. The ones on the right will barely make the speaker hum, but not do anything.

This is a picture of the back of the new speakers, (The 2 ways)the positive and negative terminals are facing upward towards the camera. I believe that's the build in crossover as well.

This is a picture of the old 3 ways I'm taking out. Both only have 2 hookups, + and -.

And here are some shots of the amp, not very good I know. Sorry about that.

Could it be the wiring they gave me with the kit is not speaker wire? It's called 25ft speaker cable, which I assumed meant speaker cable=speaker wire?

Last edited by BlackThundah; 07-15-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Look at the switch all the way to the left is that set on LPF? If it is switch it off, unless you have a sub then put it at HPF. Also it looks like you have the gain turned down try turning that up after you adjust the crossover.

Last edited by NorthernYankee; 07-15-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Southern 4 Life

I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you guys know what happens. I ran out of light today.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM

Any luck?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...nual071211.pdf
Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're hooking up 4 speakers to a 4channel amp and I only see 2channel RCA's do you have those hooked up into the wrong input? You do need to have the HPF selected on both sides and check the gain. You could turn both the filters off and watch the gain but you could blow your speakers if you have the gain set too high

Quick Reply: Wiring door speakers to amp. Need help asap!