Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Wired Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Wired Wrong?

Hi everyone,

I installed four new speakers in my 2000 regCab yesterday and after trying to tweak the settings as much as I could on my deck the rears still sound pretty disgusting. Here's the thing I cut the harness on each one and hooked up the harness that comes with the speakers. I didn't know which wire was the + and which was the - so I guessed on the first one (front driver's side) and tested it and it sounded good. After that I just made sure for the other three that I used the same wire each time for the + and - but the rears sound terrible. Anyone know which wire is which and should it matter if they're all done the same way?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stripe is negative

yes, it makes all the difference
Old 03-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I was pretty sure it did... the reason I ask is because the wires coming to the speaker are both a solid colour with another colour stripe on them so I don't know how to differentiate which one is (-). I even pulled the radio back out and noted the colours coming out of the harness. I think I've got them matched up now but noticed the wires coming from the driver's side front door speaker don't match the wires coming out of the harness. Kinda confusing if you ask me
Old 03-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Car Audio FANATIC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you can pull up a wiring diagram for your truck with a simple google search. this will tell you all of your wiring for your speakers. best thing to do is to find that and make sure they're all hooked up with the right positives and negatives.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM
2008 F1FIDDY SUPERCREW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000xl_toronto
Hi everyone,

I installed four new speakers in my 2000 regCab yesterday and after trying to tweak the settings as much as I could on my deck the rears still sound pretty disgusting. Here's the thing I cut the harness on each one and hooked up the harness that comes with the speakers. I didn't know which wire was the + and which was the - so I guessed on the first one (front driver's side) and tested it and it sounded good. After that I just made sure for the other three that I used the same wire each time for the + and - but the rears sound terrible. Anyone know which wire is which and should it matter if they're all done the same way?
Also note that just changing the speakers is not going to make it sound that much better. You need to put some power on them i.e. Amplifier. The stock deck puts out a whooping 18 watts(approx). You need around 50 per speaker(depending on the new speaker). Have fun! The audio bug is a *****!

Quick Reply: Wired Wrong?