Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Who has experience with the MS-8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has experience with the MS-8?

I am planning an install utilizing the JBL MS-8 to provide the factory integration. What I am looking for is anyone with experience that could give me a rough idea of how they installed, what inputs etc. and any issues they have seen. I want to make sure that the factory navigation, sync, and BlueTooth work like stock after the install.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I have but I am not sure what info to give you as you have not listed what Year, Style, HU/System you have or if you are running new speakers, adding a sub, etc.

It will not interfere with anything you have going on with factory as you are simply taking the high left and right front inputs of your radio into the MS-8. The outputs of the MS-8 is a different story but I cannot comment on that until you state what you are adding, if anything.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:24 PM

In the front I will be running a component set, run active with the internal amp powering the tweeters. In the rear I'll be running a set of coaxials, and finally a sub. I'll be powering the system with a JL hd900/5.

What did you do with your center speaker? Did you sum the front mids and highs along with the sub to get a full range signal?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 PM

I cannot answer to the center channel as I did not have that in my truck but it does throw a kink into your plans, assuming your center channel is summed with a left and right input, you need 9 channels if you want to go active.

No matter how you configure the MS8, it will not provide over 8 channels even though people think they can use say 4 from the amp'd side and then say 6 from the Low Level Output side, it just doesn't work like that, it's 8 channels, that's it.

You could go passive up front and power the center channel with the MS8 but the end result may not be desirable? I would suggest going over to the DIYMA forum and reading the LARGE thread about the MS8 over there to get some ideas.

FWIW, I went in high to the MS8 with my front left and right channels (as instructed by the owners manual) and then went in low to my 5 channel amp. The 5 channel powered passive comps up front, coaxials in the rear and a 10" sub.

While I thought the MS8 did a nice job of staging and imaging, I did not like the sound of it overall. I can't quite put a finger on it but the best way to describe it would be that it was holding the system back. I've since learned that I am not the only who has this opinion about the MS8.

Good luck with your build.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the information. I have heard that several times and I'm a bit concerned about it. Did you ultimately switch to another dsp that you were satisfied with?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 AM

Yes I did switch and went LOC then to a Audiocontrol DQDX. I only had it for a week though as I traded the truck in. I thought I would move it to the new vehicle but the new vehicle has everything I wanted so I returned it to Crutchfield.

Quick Reply: Who has experience with the MS-8?