Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

What are you using for a DSP for your aftermarket gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default What are you using for a DSP for your aftermarket gear?

I have an 11 with Nav and will be adding a pretty nice stereo. I know the Bit10 is a pretty common factory integration device, as is the Cleansweep. I'm trying to build a pool of options to choose from, so I want to know what you guys are using.

Sound quality is my ultimate goal. I'll have a Morel 3 way set up front, using the stock passive xovers. The rears will remain stock, probably completely deactivated as I don't care for rear fill. I'm undecided on the sub(s), but I'm leaning towards a box that will use the airspace under the rear bench and extend to the center to hold my 10w7.

I'm going to want time alignment, which is why the more expensive units appeal to me. I have a 2 channel, 30 band EQ, so the EQ functions aren't a large selling point of the higher end units. The active xovers aren't either, since I'm going to use comp set's passives. I don't know of any standalone time alignment devices, so I'm thinking I'll probably be stuck with spending the money on a Bit10, the Arc DSP or whatever else is out there.

So, let me know what you use and what you like about it.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running the Helix DSP in my '11 with the base audio/non-nav package with Sync and I absolutely love it. Full T/A, crossover control, phase control, 30-band parametric EQ per channel, and bass volume control with an optional controller.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website for more info:
http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e...cts/processor/

I'm running an active system with the front speaker outputs connected to a JL Cleansweep, then into the Helix, and then into a JL HD900/5. Amp outputs are connected to JL C5-570 components and a Stereo Integrity BM mkIV 12" sub under the rear bench seat.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cfellers
I'm running the Helix DSP in my '11 with the base audio/non-nav package with Sync and I absolutely love it. Full T/A, crossover control, phase control, 30-band parametric EQ per channel, and bass volume control with an optional controller.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website for more info:
http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e...cts/processor/

I'm running an active system with the front speaker outputs connected to a JL Cleansweep, then into the Helix, and then into a JL HD900/5. Amp outputs are connected to JL C5-570 components and a Stereo Integrity BM mkIV 12" sub under the rear bench seat.
I just recently installed the 3sixty.3 only because of the price I got on it. I do like it though. The Mosconi 6to8 looks to be a great piece as does the Helix. Curious why you used the JL Cleansweep and then the Helix. Does the Helix not flatten or normalize the factory signal?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kalen427
I just recently installed the 3sixty.3 only because of the price I got on it. I do like it though. The Mosconi 6to8 looks to be a great piece as does the Helix. Curious why you used the JL Cleansweep and then the Helix. Does the Helix not flatten or normalize the factory signal?
I originally had the front channel speaker-level outputs going straight into the Helix's high-level inputs but on several occasions the volume level would cause the Helix to shutdown for a couple of seconds. So instead of burning up an expensive DSP, I decided to put an Audio Control L2Ci in front of it, which worked fine until the right channel started getting flaky and cutting out. Took a chance on a new-looking Cleansweep after finding it in a pawn shop for $50.

Also, since I have an iPad Mini mounted in the dash, I lost the volume dial. I removed the coin holder and mounted the Cleansweep volume control there using the OEM volume ****. So I now have a volume dial again without having to only use the steering wheel controls for volume.

Last edited by cfellers; 09-14-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

I originally had the front channel speaker-level outputs going straight into the Helix's high-level inputs but on several occasions the volume level would cause the Helix to shutdown for a couple of seconds. So instead of burning up an expensive DSP, I decided to put an Audio Control L2Ci in front of it, which worked fine until the right channel started getting flaky and cutting out. Took a chance on a new-looking Cleansweep after finding it in a pawn shop for $50.

Also, since I have an iPad Mini mounted in the dash, I lost the volume dial. I removed the coin holder and mounted the Cleansweep volume control there using the OEM volume ****. So I now have a volume dial again without having to only use the steering wheel controls for volume.
Glad im not the only one that had the issue with the dsp shutting down, my 3sixty would do the same at high volume. I fixed mine by using a LOC, then going to my low level in on the 3sixty. It fixed it, but I still get some floor noise. (did I mention I HATE having MyFord Touch) ... The Cleansweep is a great idea, which cleansweep model are you using? The CL-SSI, or the CL441dsp?

To the OP... Not trying to hi jack this thread, since your looking for a DSP, you will want to know these little tricks to maximize it regardless of which brand you choose. Ford Sync is one hell of a noisy signal, so this isn't the simplest to integrate and have it noise free. But it is possible!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kalen427
Glad im not the only one that had the issue with the dsp shutting down, my 3sixty would do the same at high volume. I fixed mine by using a LOC, then going to my low level in on the 3sixty. It fixed it, but I still get some floor noise. (did I mention I HATE having MyFord Touch) ... The Cleansweep is a great idea, which cleansweep model are you using? The CL-SSI, or the CL441dsp?
The CL441dsp. Since I don't have the Sony/Nav system with the audio processor I didn't need the CL-SSI.

Being located in Texas, now I need the outdoor temperatures to come down a bit so I can re-tune it with the Cleansweep in place. It gets a little warm sitting in the truck with the windows up and no air conditioning running.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Gimpy

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Default What are you using for a DSP for your aftermarket gear?

I got an Audison bit ten. Very good unit. No problems. Been in there for two years.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sweet, thanks so far. I certainly don't mind the discussion. More info is good info as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can adjust the high level signal in put by removing the helix cover and adjusting the pots under neath it. Or maybe just by turning inputs down in the software . That way it doesn't clip at high volume

Quick Reply: What are you using for a DSP for your aftermarket gear?