Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What should I do?

My uncle who owns a ford dealership recently gave me 2 12" (50-150w RMS) Kicker comp subs in a sealed box and a 760w 2 channel sony xplod. I also have a pioneer 12" 1200w sun sitting around. I know all these subs are pretty cheap and I have heard the amp is pretty much trash.

But if any of you had this stuff and wanted to put it in your f150 how would you go about doing so? I have 4 kenwood 6x8s and a kenwood head unit installed and I really want some bass, but I am not really looking for something to bang like crazy.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cab size and year of truck would be a good starting point to get help.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM

97 extended cab xlt
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Whiteknuckletight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want serious bass don't use 12's. If you want some bass, not alot use 8's or 10's with a small amp. I had two 12's in my old '94 F-150. They were in a dual sub box, sitting in the middle on the bench seat in the rear since there was absolutely no room under the seat. They may make a JL Audio Stealthbox or a MTX Thunderform for your truck which would be the way to add some bass without sacrificing space on your rear bench seat. Expensive though!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 AM

yea those boxes are crazy expensive. The only reason I am using 12s is because uncle gave me 2 12" kickers and a pioneer 12" with a crappy 760w sony xplod amp. Unfortunately the box he gave me is huge. and would probably take up two if not three seats in the back of my cab. I did find two boxes after searching for way too long.

Let me know what you think...what is the difference because I cant really seem to find one other than I think one comes with the seat lift. Where can I buy a seat lift because thats another thing I am having trouble finding?

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...37248235242233

Last edited by BigRedXlt; 01-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
john john the leprechaun

i have a box that holds two 10's that will fit under your back seat. just like the link you posted.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Whiteknuckletight

supercrewsound.com carries boxes for your truck, and you can buy the seat lifts through them as well.

But I've heard from quite a few people that the seat lifts are junk, although I have never used them. Does anyone here have experience with them? If so, what's your input?

Last edited by dallint; 01-13-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:09 PM

Has anyone made their own seat lifts? I cant imagine that it could be that hard. I am seeing rear seat lifts for over $100 which is highway robbery for something I could probably make. How hard is it to make of these boxes anyway? Has anyone made theirs? If so how long did it take you? Isnt it pretty much mdf, liquid nails, nails, and carpeting? I cant imagine it being that hard.

Also can I buy just the lift from supercrewsound without buying one of their boxes?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:33 AM
Whiteknuckletight

Making your own seat lift would require expensive metal and machinist tools not to mention the ability and skills of operating them. You could possibly have a machine shop make you some, however they would probably charge close to, if not more than just buying them at $100.00.

Also, if you were going to build a box for those subs, you would have to know the specs for the subs. Not all subs require the same amount of space inside the box, or the same mounting depth even if they are the same size. Other than that, yeah just mdf or particle board, carpet, spray adhesive, screws, caulking, and some speaker posts are all of the materials. But do you have access to a table saw, drill, and a jig saw?

If I were you, and I was dead set on putting some bass in my truck; I'd do one of two things:

1. I'd bite the bullet and buy and a box from supercrewsound.com, along with the seat lift. Supercrewsound.com sells the seat lift for $15.00 for your vehicle, as long as you buy a box from them (Atleast that's the way it looks to me). If you were going to buy the box from somewhere, and then the seat lift from somewhere else, you're looking at more money than just by buying everything direct from SCS.

OR

2. I'd sell the subs (and possibly the amp) on a local free classified ad website or publication, buy an OEM sub box from ebay for your truck (Probably a single 8" sub), and replace the OEM sub with an aftermarket one (Or keep the OEM one....they sound alright too) This way you're getting alittle bass, rather than sloppy, overpowering bass.

The decision is yours, and only yours to make, I'm just speaking from some of my own experiences. I hope this helps you!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 PM

thanks, I will look into selling the subs. I have never seen a factory sub for the f150 on craigslist. Are you sure they made one for the 97s? Also the audio stuff that came from the factory was trash to say the least. When I pulled my 6x8s from the doors, the rubber/foam surround had completely disintegrated and I was pretty much pushing paper cones. So I dont know how I feel about getting a factory sub.

As of now it looks like I am biting the bullet and going to buy one from hifisoundconnection because theirs comes with the lift and seems to be a little nicer than supercrewsound.