Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

What do i need to know about 2011 stereo add ons/replacement. Sony w/navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 AM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default What do i need to know about 2011 stereo add ons/replacement. Sony w/navigation

I just got a 2011 FX4 with the Sony/navigation suite. I'm sure I'm going to do some stereo work in the future and I need to know where the gotchas are. My initial idea is to leave the stock headunit, swap out the front speakers, nix the rears add a sub and amp them all. I may build a set of kick pannels, but overall I'm looking for a pretty basic install. Equipment recommendations and general install knowledge isn't needed as I have that covered. I'm just not really sure where to start searching to learn the ins and outs of the factory system. Don't feel the need to type everything out here, as I'm sure it's been addressed. Links and search phrases will suffice. I really just need a good foundation so I can plan my details.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by cody6766
I just got a 2011 FX4 with the Sony/navigation suite. I'm sure I'm going to do some stereo work in the future and I need to know where the gotchas are. My initial idea is to leave the stock headunit, swap out the front speakers, nix the rears add a sub and amp them all. I may build a set of kick pannels, but overall I'm looking for a pretty basic install. Equipment recommendations and general install knowledge isn't needed as I have that covered. I'm just not really sure where to start searching to learn the ins and outs of the factory system. Don't feel the need to type everything out here, as I'm sure it's been addressed. Links and search phrases will suffice. I really just need a good foundation so I can plan my details.

Thanks for the input.
There are plenty of people that have upgraded their Sony systems here in this forum. I would do a search.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Iraq Lobster!

I'm sure there are, but I'm trying to avoid digging through many, many pages of useless info and 5x7 replacements to dig out nuggets unique to this system. I don't even know what to begin searching for outside of "sony stereo upgrade." I don't mind searching, but I'm lacking a starting point.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The Sony Nav system is made up of a bunch of different modules that get combined in the audio control module (ACM) then goes to the digital sound processor (DSP) that's under the center counsel, it's referred to on this forum as a (amp) amplifier.
The DSP is a amplifier and its were the gain, equalizer, balance, crossover, etc. happens as well as the roll off - when the factor system reduces the highs and lows at higher volumes to protect the crapy factory speakers. It's also the amplifier for the DVC subwoofer.

Everything you'll need to get at is at the DSP.

The SYNC uses the front speakers and/or the center speaker.
The center speaker is for the Nav voice and it gets a mono music signal (which is pointless and messes up the sound stage)

There's a separate tweeter and mid line coming out of the DSP, some say mid speaker is actively crossed some say it gets a full range signal. ( I think it's actively crossed in the DSP, there's no capacitor / inductor on the mid range door speaker) the tweeter has a inline capacitor.

Some people use a line out converter to hook up amplifiers.
Some spend the money on a aftermarket DSP.
I used an inexpensive equalizer/ crossover to integrate the amps while bypassing the factor DSP.
The following users liked this post:
Silver Surfer 5.0 (07-17-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A couple of wiring diagrams: this is for the 2011 same as 2012. Maybe other years.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Windup; 07-17-2013 at 02:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Windup:
organiz3d_chaos (07-17-2013), Silver Surfer 5.0 (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 AM
F-150 Frequent Flyer

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Awesome advice, Windup!

Thanks for breaking it all down and making it easier to understand.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Iraq Lobster!

Muchas Gracias! That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I need a way to root out specifics that may hang my plans or make my life easier. That info is going to serve as a great starting point.

Other stuff is always great. Even if it's just "search for x" or "look into y device," I'll take it. I don't expect anyone to do my research for me, but do appreciate diving boards.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Someone should make this a sticky!

Quick Reply: What do i need to know about 2011 stereo add ons/replacement. Sony w/navigation