Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

What amp and what subs should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What amp and what subs should I get?

Hey all, first post in here
I've got a 2000 f-150 extended cab
I already put in an Alpine 9887 (SICK DECK, I LOVE IT)
I replaced all the speakers with new Alpine Speakers and it sounds good, but I have NO bass really and I like my bass. I did these installs myself, actually quite easy and I am comfortable doing this stuff myself.

So, Im looking at Subs and an amp now?
Ok, can I run all the speakers and a sub on one amp or do I need two?

Should I get two subs or just one? 10's or 12'?

I listen to rap/hip hop and some other bass music and just want something that hits hard but is not ridiculously loud because I want to hear the music too, not just bass.

Im looking at Alpine, Infinity amps, but Im open to suggestions. I don't really know **** about how many watts I need or how many channels I need or anything about amps or subs really.

Im not trying to spend a rediculous amount of money, but I got a decent stack saved up so give me suggestions and teach me about amps/subs
Old 09-24-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not positive about how much base you are actually wanting but if someone came to me just wanting a little I would say around a 800 to a 1000 watt amp with two 10's or one 12. This will give you a decent amount of base and if it is too loud you can adjust it with the bass control on your radio really easily.

You can go with a 2 channel or mono block amp with either 2 10's or one 12 although if you are running one sub a monoblock amp will save you money. in that area. It would probably be best to get a 0 gauge amp wiring kit for a couple of different reasons.

You definately don't need to put your regular speakers on the same amp as subs. If you think your door speakers need to be louder or whatever you should go with another amp specifically for them, more than likely a 4 channel. Unless you have some really big bass though i wouldn't think you would need that.

As far as brands there are alot of choices and many can sound good if the right amp & sub and box combination exists. Kicker, Infinity, Pioneer, MTX, some Rockford Fosgate, and sometimes Kenwoods are some subs that I have done for people in the past and liked. As far as amps Infinity, Alpine, MTX, Pioneer, Kenwood are a few that I trust. In my opinion Sony Xplods do just what they say EXPLODE.

When you pick out the subs look in your truck to see what size box you can fit. Or look online for custom fit boxes. Either way decide how many cubic ft. of airspace you will have and then go from there checking what is recommended for the subs you are looking at. Sometimes I like to go a little bit over the recommended enclosure size which gives you a deeper tone but can slow the sub which is what you here in big subs (15's) vs. smaller subs (8's) the faster responding sub (8) will hit each note with more definition while the slower (15) will kind of roll the notes together into a continuous one. I personally like the slower deeper sound. Someone on here should chime in about the best placement for subs in your truck. W/o being able to get a good look into the back of an ext cab i really dont know there.

In the money dept. I have done installs of subs and an amp for people for less than $600 easy, but I generally find a way to get all of the componenets alot cheaper than say at Best Buy or Somewhere. If I was installing 2 subs for myself with your criteria i would be looking to spend around $50 for wiring harness, $40 for box materials, $150-200 on subs, and up to $200 on the amp. I buy on ebay alot but you have to be careful.

Last edited by 2001stu; 09-24-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Pimp

2001stu that was a great post, thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 11:15 PM

Yea no kidding 2001stu, I really appreciate you taking the time to type all of that, really helping me out here.
Ok, Im looking at the single downfire 10 or 12 box, prob going to get a 12 but here is the box? What do you think? http://www.subthump.com/f150.htm
Are the downfire boxes good? Is this to expensive? Is it worth building a box myself if I can do it and if so where do I get the black carpet stuff you surround it with?

I can't decide on what amp and sub I want yet. So does 1 12" bump pretty hard then? I just want something that hits pretty hard on the good bass notes.

How are the Polk Subs?

Last edited by Conceptkid; 09-24-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 PM

These for example? do they look pretty good?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...MM1240D&tp=111
Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with STU. I've been doing car audio for many years now and he provided ALOT of good info. If you're wanting us to tell you the top brands then it's going to differ because we all have different tastes but that's what makes this forum the best on teh interweb...lol

Anyways I HIGHLY recommend anything that JL Audio makes along with the Kicker Solar Barics. They're great speakers and won't leave your wallet empty. If you're looking to spend a little bit more money I would VERY HIGHLY recommend the higher end JL Audios or the new Power series by Rockford Fosgate. I'm not a big fan of Rockford since the original owner sold them to another company and their quality has gone down alot but a third party makes the Power series for Rockford Fosgate which makes it a competition speaker. You won't be disappointed by the Power series but be prepared to pay a little bit more.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 AM

In my opinion downfiring boxes sound the best, followed by boxes that face to the front, and up firing being the worst of the three. But that doesn't mean that I haven't seen upfiring that have sounded good. As far as the price thats a good price. Because of the lower amount of airspace on that single 12" downfiring box I think I would go with 2 downfiring 10's. A single 10 can sound pretty good but i try to stay away from it personally.

If you have never built a box and dont really have alot of "woodworking" experience I would def. go with buying that one. To build a box your looking at about 45 min. just in materials not counting whatever you cover it in. Which by the way I usually go to Hobby Lobby or somewhere to find a material to cover boxes in. The true thing about building your own box especially when it is one for somewhere like that is there are alot of measurements to keep track of and you really need a table saw, a good jig saw, and some patience to make sure it is completely air tight. Really the only upside to building your own in your case is gonna be that you might be able to squeeze a little more airspace out of it.

Yea a 12 will hit pretty decent with a decent amp on it, you will def. be able to hear your base. I personally have no experience with polk audio other than the marine speakers in a boat so not real sure. But I did notice that that sub asks for .88 cu ft. of air space and that box provides .75 cu ft. I personally would find a diff. sub. Kenwood had some on crutchfield (expensive site btw) that looked pretty good but i never tried them.

Other than that you just gotta figure out what you want. Keep checking airspace reccomendations, and if it were me I would plan on buying that downfiring box for 2 10's on that site you found, then find two subs and about a 760-1000 watt 2 channel or monoblock amp. I feel like I keep rambling on on this thread.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Triton v8
I have to agree with STU. I've been doing car audio for many years now and he provided ALOT of good info. If you're wanting us to tell you the top brands then it's going to differ because we all have different tastes but that's what makes this forum the best on teh interweb...lol

Anyways I HIGHLY recommend anything that JL Audio makes along with the Kicker Solar Barics. They're great speakers and won't leave your wallet empty. If you're looking to spend a little bit more money I would VERY HIGHLY recommend the higher end JL Audios or the new Power series by Rockford Fosgate. I'm not a big fan of Rockford since the original owner sold them to another company and their quality has gone down alot but a third party makes the Power series for Rockford Fosgate which makes it a competition speaker. You won't be disappointed by the Power series but be prepared to pay a little bit more.

Hope this helps!!!
By the way I totally agree with you about Rockford Fosgates I'm not a huge fan either but I have installed some Power Series 12's that sound really good.

Whats up with the Solar-Barics? I haven't seen those... Are they the new version of the Solo Barics or something. Jp. i couldn't resist.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:20 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001stu
Whats up with the Solar-Barics? I haven't seen those... Are they the new version of the Solo Barics or something. Jp. i couldn't resist.
haha sorry. I was typing all that in a hurry and didn't realize what I typed. Thanks for pointing out my error......lol
Old 09-29-2008, 12:27 AM

Alright, which amp is better?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...36G1700&tp=115
or
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...62501V2&tp=115

Quick Reply: What amp and what subs should I get?