Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

What about these?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Default What about these?

I am a audio newb. I have a 12 Screw and have already replaced the factory speakers with some Pioneer speakers that have made a huge difference in my music enjoyment.
I recently purchased a Kenwood amp, model KAC-8405 and went to my local installer and he strongly suggested that I get a http://www.crutchfield.ca/JL_Audio_C.../136441dsp.htm

Signal processor because I am using the factory head because, quite frankly I like it.
Does anyone have any experience with this unit in their trucks and is it worth it?
School me gentleman.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I just installed an audio control lc6i, not as good as the jl but for what your using it for would work great. Much cheaper as well
The following users liked this post:
Roughneck12 (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

The factory HU rolls off the bass at higher volume so they use a signal processor to fix that. What HU do you have and how picky are you about the sound? Enough to spend the extra money for the processor?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the stock head unit. Not the one with the big screen.
It sounds pretty good right now with the new speakers. Sound is a little inconsistent between recordings though.
If something like this would make a drastic improvement it would be worth it to me.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
2013 King Ranch EB GemGrn

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Roughneck12
It sounds pretty good right now with the new speakers. Sound is a little inconsistent between recordings though.
If something like this would make a drastic improvement it would be worth it to me.
I think you start pushing the limits of your speaker upgrades with something like what you're looking at. Recordings are definitely not universally mastered well, especially when you start listening with decent speakers that don't hide recording flaws well.

I've got Morel Virtus (a "gift" from an installer that really jacked up my center console when doing my console sub enclosure) and they are totally transparent to the point that I find myself not enjoying some of my older recordings because of the quality of the audio compared to newer recordings that are mastered with more clarity (at least is would seem).

I also question at what volume the frequencies start rolling off such that they would actually be detectable to the human ear. I've got a 5 channel amp pushing all my doors and a single sub, and just with the 90w clean power upgrade, I find it extremely difficult to push the volume up past 1/4 of the way because it's JUST too loud otherwise. Before the upgrade I was pushing about 1/2 volume just because the factory speakers don't get loud at all.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Roughneck12
Just try adding a sub. Very easy to install with the correct harness. You may be happy with the result.