Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Volume louder on Drivers Side

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Frito Bandito

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Volume louder on Drivers Side

Hey all,

Most of the way done with the audio system overhaul (still just need to get rear speakers)

My current setup right now is:
Alpine X008U Headunit
Alpine PDX-V9 Amp
JL Audio C5-525 Front components
Kicker 5x7 Rear
Wired 12GA wire to all 4 doors

I have turned the gain down on everything, ill admit I am not a huge audiophile for tuning settings so I am not sure what to do.

The drivers side speakers are definitely louder and the only thing ive been doing is adjusting the fade. This seemed to happen after i put in the JL's?

I dont ever remember the left side being louder stock or even with another set of kickers in front.

So im wondering if the JL's are bad? if my RCAs are bad? if my ground is bad? do i need something else? what should i be looking for?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:13 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Please don't hate me for saying this but have you tried the balancer control yet? I know it sounds dumb but you mentioned the fader which is front to rear not side to side.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:22 PM
Frito Bandito

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
Please don't hate me for saying this but have you tried the balancer control yet? I know it sounds dumb but you mentioned the fader which is front to rear not side to side.
*Doh* Sorry got the case of the fridays, i meant balance!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:03 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Here is the owner's manual. http://support.alpine-usa.com/produc.../OM_PDX-V9.pdf
Check to see if the gains on the amp are exactly the same for both sides. Also see if the high pass filters are set the same. The only other thing that I could think is that you somehow bridged the one side for more power. So if the amp settings are correct then check your wiring. It doesn't make sense that one side is louder than the other if all of these conditions are correct.

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Frito Bandito

Yeah Ive gone over the manual a couple times. I have both channel 1/2 and 3/4 gains set to minimum. both HPF turned off. Ill play around again tonight, need to move my amp location anyway.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Use a 9 volt battery on the passenger side speaker wires and match the positive wire to the positive battery post. Use the negative on negative. If wired correctly the speaker will extend outward when you touch the wires to the battery. If the speaker retracts then it's wired reversed and is possibly the issue. Have you also tried swapping RCA inputs on the amp to see if one channel is playing louder than the other? It could be the amp is messed up. I'm trying to come up with ideas but it's tough not being there to figure it out with you. I'd also double check the crossover to make sure the wires are all connected correctly.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:40 AM
Frito Bandito

Well after mounting the crossovers and re mounting the amp, i hooked everything back up and now it seems the passenger side crossover doesnt want to work! Im not sure what i could have done as i disconnected the battery before i even started working on anything.

Have a feeling i should have just gone with a power pack (sigh)
Old 03-19-2016, 02:48 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

I'd contact JL Audio to see if they can warranty the crossover. The crossover by itself costs $69.99 through them. I can hook you up even better if you PM me. I'm hoping you don't have to buy one and they cover it but I'm not certain what the cause of the failure is from. By any chance did it get wet? At least now you've identified the issue.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:48 AM
Frito Bandito

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
I'd contact JL Audio to see if they can warranty the crossover. The crossover by itself costs $69.99 through them. I can hook you up even better if you PM me. I'm hoping you don't have to buy one and they cover it but I'm not certain what the cause of the failure is from. By any chance did it get wet? At least now you've identified the issue.
It did not get wet that i know of, its been inside the entire time behind the back seat.

OK I will contact them Monday, I am going to double check it tomorrow. Maybe I just got a bad batch because one of the crossovers was missing both of the "pins" to select REF, -1.5 etc and I got them to send some new ones out.

Thanks for the price check, Ill let you know when I hear back.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Frito Bandito

Well turned out not being so bad after all (i hope) Seems like it was one of my Alpine Quick Connect speaker adapters that plug into the amp. The screw that you turn to hold the wire in was stripped and wasnt holding it tight. Stuffed it in there to test and it sounded like the volume was level again.

Just got a replacement adapter on the way, ill see if that solves it

Quick Reply: Volume louder on Drivers Side