Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

USB 2 dual purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Ski Bum

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default USB 2 dual purpose?

I'm thinking of doing the USB 2 mod, but taking it a step further. I'm wondering if I find a splitter coming out of the USB2 slot for inputs for my HD and GPS power if I will be able to still ask the command USB 2 for my HD music. Or will the sync system screw up being that I have 2 inputs in the USB2 slot one of them being just a power wire (really want to be able to mount my GPS on the dash and drill a small hole to conceal all the wire and thought it would be cool to be able to charge it from the top of the dash through the usb2 input). Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

While possible, you have to remember that USB only has a finite amount of power, and having your GPS eating power could leave little or not enough for the HD to function properly.
The following users liked this post:
RubberDuckie (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by RubberDuckie
I'm thinking of doing the USB 2 mod, but taking it a step further. I'm wondering if I find a splitter coming out of the USB2 slot for inputs for my HD and GPS power if I will be able to still ask the command USB 2 for my HD music. Or will the sync system screw up being that I have 2 inputs in the USB2 slot one of them being just a power wire (really want to be able to mount my GPS on the dash and drill a small hole to conceal all the wire and thought it would be cool to be able to charge it from the top of the dash through the usb2 input). Thoughts?
It will not work with a usb splitter

Quick Reply: USB 2 dual purpose?