Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Upgrading audio on 2015 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Upgrading audio on 2015 XLT

Hey all, first time post’er here (and first time F150 owner too) just made the leap from my trusty old GMC Sierria and purchased a new 2015 F150 XLT w 3.5 EB w 302 package.

What I’m looking do is add a signal processor to the factory head unit for the obvious reasons. My objective is to keep everything factory-looking as possible. Therefore don’t plan on using any auxiliary inputs or controls with the DSP unit. I only want the factory controls and music from the Radio, CD and SD card.

I apologize if this is redundant thread but I’ve been struggling to find the info I’m seeking. I was reading a thread here yesterday on adding DSP to the factory head unit in which the entire thread spun off topic on the enhanced engine noise Ford is adding.

From the mentioned thread, I haven’t been able to determine exactly whether I have the enhanced engine noise or not. I’m very concerned as this would affect the signal processor or even the ability ot add one. The thread mentions this engine noise is with all EcoBoost engines, others allude to Lariat models and above, yet another indicates with the Sony sound system only?

Does anyone know for certain what configuration(s) has this enhanced engine noise?

Also; anyone have a wiring schematic for the head unit included with the 302 package. I cannot seem to find this anywhere. This is info I’d like to have as this may aid in determining which DSP unit I purchase (ie: separate Sub out for summing signals etc….)

Lastly, I’m open for suggestions on DSP units. I don’t mind complexity in tuning etc. But would like one that can do time alignments plus would like to leverage the center channel dash speaks
Old 06-09-2015, 11:53 AM

I should add that I don’t have anything to compare to so am not sure if I have the enhanced engine noise or not – as I'm not certain what I am or am not hearing? Please don’t turn this into the right or wrong of adding engine noise debacle.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Good questions. I would like to know the answers also.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the Rockford 360 for a DSP, obviously you are adding Amps and speakers too. It is a great product that is all programmed from a lap top through usb, it does have two external control ***** (you will have some no matter which high end processor you buy, but unlike most others it will use the factory volume control the function of the ***** is programable I usually set one for quick eq adjustment and the other for sub level, since it is only used for these then you don't need to mount it in sight and it can be hidden away in the console etc. The sound and capability from the 360 is as good as an Audison processor and far superior to the clean sweep. Cost is slightly higher but worth every penny.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:57 AM

I've been leaning towards the Audison only because I'm not a huge fan of Rockford products. Seen many mixed reviews on the 360.

Still curious if anyone knows the answers to the other questions I posted???
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Audison is a good product as well, I have sold both Audison and Rockford for many years, the main difference is with the Audison for proper function you have no choice but to use the control for the Audison rather than just hiding it.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You can use the Audison without the DRC unless you have the Dynamic Range function enabled.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:42 PM

Great to know, Thanks! Guess I'll have to reconsider the 360. Plan on matting with a Alpine PDX-V9 and JBL Speaks.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you go to the Audison website and download the manual there is a section that talks about by-passing the DRC. If you go over to diymobileaudio.com and talk with some of the fellas about DSP's you can get some good insight. Some good threads over there talking about DSPs.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 PM

I'll research that more, thanks. Now it's a matter of wether I have added engine noise or not. Anyone know for certain what configurations have that?

Quick Reply: Upgrading audio on 2015 XLT