Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Is upgraded speakers with stock HU worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is upgraded speakers with stock HU worthwhile?

I've got the stock head unit (w/ SYNC) and was wondering if there would be a noticeable difference if I just upgraded the speakers in front and back of a SCrew without swapping anything else or adding any other components?

With finances and other priorities I don't have any plans on replacing the stock HU or adding subs or amps but could replace front and rear door speakers if it would be worthwhile and make a decent difference in sound quality.

What are everyone's thoughts on upgraded speakers with stock HU that also has sync and if worthwhile what are some speaker recomendations? Thanks for any input.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jstandfest
I've got the stock head unit (w/ SYNC) and was wondering if there would be a noticeable difference if I just upgraded the speakers in front and back of a SCrew without swapping anything else or adding any other components?

With finances and other priorities I don't have any plans on replacing the stock HU or adding subs or amps but could replace front and rear door speakers if it would be worthwhile and make a decent difference in sound quality.

What are everyone's thoughts on upgraded speakers with stock HU that also has sync and if worthwhile what are some speaker recomendations? Thanks for any input.
Yes it is worth it. Noticed a big difference when I upgraded speakers. I am powering mine from the stock HU. The bass was pretty good but I wanted a fuller sound so added a 10" and amp. Do the speakers and see how it sounds then if $$$ allows in the future add a sub.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that anything would be a huge improvement over the stock speakers, Evan some cheep Boss speakers would sound better.
The stock speakers don't Evan have a real tweeter in them. They resemble the old sparkomatic speakers with the paper come in the center.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Yes swap them out. I got my Kickers for about $50 a pair.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

You can find great deals on speakers on Craigslist.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, its a vast improvement. I ended up installing an amp but just the speaker upgrade was worth it.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it's a big improvement. Did it on my 98 in the doors. Now my rear ones are blown but can't even notice them over the Pioneers in the doors. Big Big improvement in sound. I do have the factory amp though so that probably adds some value.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upgrading the stock speakers will increase sound quality, however, adding an inexpensive amp and sub (around the same price depending on what you upgrade to) will direct most if not all bass to the sub, leaving the remaining stock speakers to focus just on mid-high range sound. Also, with the sub and amp already installed, a future upgrade of the stock speakers will yield even better performance. I had just enough $ to do one or the other and this is the route I chose. So far I'm happy.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Its actually not that big of an improvement... you will only notice better sound if the speaker contains a tweeter with an internal crossover, or if the speaker has a high sensitivity level.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Indeed. You can pick up some Polk DB571s for around $50 a set. Heard some great things about Infinity Kappas as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sD8vwxhxKpA

Quick Reply: Is upgraded speakers with stock HU worthwhile?