Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Is an upgrade from the KTP-445 to a "real" amp worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is an upgrade from the KTP-445 to a "real" amp worth it?

Okay, so I'm considering upgrading the power to my door speakers. I'm running a Clarion VX-401 HU, Infinity Kappa 680.9cs components in the front and 682.9cf's in the back doors. In the middle, I've got an original Alpine KTP-445 that I hardwired into the system about a year back. When I did it, I was running Kicker 6x8's in all 4 doors and I could tell a little more power to the music (i.e. volume on 10 instead of 12) but no big improvement to speak of.

So, a year later, I'm basically bored with what I've got and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade to a "real" amp? The speakers are all just short of 100w RMS, so I've been looking at something like this http://www.jlaudio.com/xd400-4-car-a...plifiers-98261 (off amazon for $150 less). I'd prefer to keep it in the 250 or less range. Anybody have some guidance for me?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Since you're already running an aftermarket amp with all those pre-amp outputs you would see a pretty good gain in sound quality over using the Alpine amp you currently have. While both amps are class D, you'll have a cleaner more powerful signal with that JL amp because it doesn't have to "work" as hard as the Alpine one, especially since you'll be able to use the pre-amp outputs with vs. speaker level inputs of the Alpine. I say go for it....I would if I were bored and felt the need for better sound.

Edit: just saw you said you need to keep it in the $250 price range. It's going to run up the cost, but I highly advise getting a quality amp wiring kit. You can get them at sonicelectronix.com for reasonable prices. Or look them up there and google to see if you can get a better price elsewhere. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Largefarva; 05-27-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Also that amp at 12v is only putting out 60wX4 @4 ohms. I would look for something 75w to 100w/ch.

Quick Reply: Is an upgrade from the KTP-445 to a "real" amp worth it?