Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Update ASWC for new head unit????

Old 11-21-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts
Default Update ASWC for new head unit????

Hello,

I've had this installed in my truck for many years now with a Kenwood 2010 DD HU, controls worked fine on wheel.

Just in stalled a new Kenwood HU that is a 2014 model, the controls worked fine for a day and now they won't do anything at all. It's as if the HU doesn't see it at all.

I pulled HU and checked wiring ( wasn't a lot as most stayed in place) and all is correct.

Tried reset and auto recognize which it goes through the steps correctly with LED flashes but no worky.

Tried manual programming still no worky.

So now my question, do I need to update firmware of the ASWC to recognize the newer HU?

Out of ideas and it's driving me nuts!
Old 11-21-2015, 08:49 PM
FDT

Received 218 Likes on 164 Posts

Do you have or did you get the iDatalink Maestro, and if so did you flash the module before installing it? If I remember correctly you need that to communicate with the steering wheel controls. I have that with the (2015)Kenwood DDX9902S and my controls work great, plus you can reconfigure what the SWC buttons control.
The following users liked this post:
RES4CUE (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by fseries54303
Do you have or did you get the iDatalink Maestro, and if so did you flash the module before installing it? If I remember correctly you need that to communicate with the steering wheel controls. I have that with the (2015)Kenwood DDX9902S and my controls work great, plus you can reconfigure what the SWC buttons control.
No maestro in either unit.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:00 AM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I have the Maestro Rr installed with my Kenwood 892. Im not sure about your ASWC, but if you can Update ots firmware. I'd sure give it a shot!
RES4CUE (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Toddman34
I have the Maestro Rr installed with my Kenwood 892. Im not sure about your ASWC, but if you can Update ots firmware. I'd sure give it a shot!
That's what I'm thinking I'm going to do, I'll call them to verify. I'm sure it has to be firmware as this has worked flawless for years and nothing is different with install except the HU.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:47 PM
One Clean Machine

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
That's what I'm thinking I'm going to do, I'll call them to verify. I'm sure it has to be firmware as this has worked flawless for years and nothing is different with install except the HU.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Yup, cause I believe the unit you have is the one used to keep the S.W. controlls if you dont keep Sync.

So I would be led to believe a Firmware Update for your new HU, would correct your issue. Good luck...
RES4CUE (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Toddman34
Yup, cause I believe the unit you have is the one used to keep the S.W. controlls if you dont keep Sync. So I would be led to believe a Firmware Update for your new HU, would correct your issue. Good luck...
Man, it's one thing after another! Lol

I thought it would be an easy swap and skipped Maestro because I didn't care about sync but it may have been worth it just for the wheel controls!

I go out to update box, I can get access to harness in about 5 mins as many times as I've taken out and out back in the head units, and pop the cover and it has the old CAB connector not the new mini USB like he new one.

So go to the tried and true Amazon and find the cable for $50?!!!!! That's $10 more than the new whole unit!

Decisions, buy a new one and wire it in hoping it has the new update or just break down for cable?

I did find the cable for a bit less on eBay and figure with the cable I'll be able to future proof the firmware.

Hope this works! Lol
Toddman38 (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

I thought it would be an easy swap and skipped Maestro because I didn't care about sync but it may have been worth it just for the wheel controls!

I go out to update box, I can get access to harness in about 5 mins as many times as I've taken out and out back in the head units, and pop the cover and it has the old CAB connector not the new mini USB like he new one.

So go to the tried and true Amazon and find the cable for $50?!!!!! That's $10 more than the new whole unit!

Decisions, buy a new one and wire it in hoping it has the new update or just break down for cable?

I did find the cable for a bit less on eBay and figure with the cable I'll be able to future proof the firmware.

Hope this works! Lol
Just get the Maestro
Old 11-22-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Just get the Maestro
I would but the HU I got does not utilize Maestro.

I've had zero issue with this unit for 5 years and assumed that it would just hook up and work the same but I now feel it needs updated to run the new HU.

Maestro would have been nice but I didn't want to retain sync and didn't need the OBDII info, just the wheel controls to work.

The maestro seems nice if you want to keep all that stuff though.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 PM
One Clean Machine

Hope this works! Lol

Oh I fully agree... Nickel & Dime you to death!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update ASWC for new head unit????