Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Unhappy w/Polk 5x7's and amp, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unhappy w/Polk 5x7's and amp, need advice

In my 2010 screw with Sync, I have installed 4 Polk dxi570's powered by a Polk PA 660 amp (80 watts RMS x 4 if I remember correctly). I stayed with the stock head unit because of the Sync. This setup sounds all right at medium levels, but at high levels there is more distortion than I think there should be. The high frequencies start to distort before the mid range frequencies do.

I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket head unit (like a Kenwood Excelon kdc 395). will this be a big improvement or a waste of money? Is there a better option? The Kenwood with fit kit and Sync harness would be $230.00.

P.S. I don't want a sub right now.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Let me help you out man. I'd start by simply adding an amplifier. You will need to also get a high/low converter so your oem radio will work with the amplifier. For this I recommend Pac Msfrd 24 (i think thats the model). You can buy it off amazon for about 30 bucks.

I say to go this route first because if you get an aftermarket hu and still decide you want more power, it gets very tricky to retain Sync with an aftermarket hu and an amp. I know this because Thats the route I started with. I wound up having to make my own adapter for it all to work properly. Im on a break at work so dont have a long time to explain, but if you wanna pm me ill give you the whole story.

For now id say adding an amp will give you the best results.

Sorry, i some how completey missed the fact that you currently have an amp...whoops.

Last edited by PondJumper; 05-11-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Your polk 660 amp has enough power being that it is 2 and 4 ohm stable.... Your speakers per crutchfield are 4ohms... You are within specs so you should be getting a pretty good sound and no distortion.. How exactly did you tap into your wiring? Did you use one of those speaker level to line converters? This is more likely where your distortion is coming from if wired incorrectly..
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Your stereo is altering frequencies based on volume. That's why it sounds great at times and not so great at times, depending on volume. First I'd start with playing a 1 kHz test tone from a CD and raise volume until it clips - now you'll know the highest level your HU can safely play. For my stock NAV unit that was almost exactly at 3/4 max volume.

Next I would add some sort of processor. I love the JL Cleansweep, but even something like an LC6i would be a start. Plus, you don't want subs - yet. At least the right processor allows for future expansion if you so choose.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by etazeta
Your stereo is altering frequencies based on volume. That's why it sounds great at times and not so great at times, depending on volume. First I'd start with playing a 1 kHz test tone from a CD and raise volume until it clips - now you'll know the highest level your HU can safely play. For my stock NAV unit that was almost exactly at 3/4 max volume.

Next I would add some sort of processor. I love the JL Cleansweep, but even something like an LC6i would be a start. Plus, you don't want subs - yet. At least the right processor allows for future expansion if you so choose.

Good luck.
+1....
Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the stock tweeters and didn't replace them, they're going to distort at high volumes. As will the center channel (if equipped).
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dont mean to sound remedial - you may have already done all this. That said and without much info to go on as to what you have tried so far here are some suggestions:

Make sure the amp is high passed on both f/r channels. Your speakers Fq range starts at 52hz so I would set to around 60 as a base while you get the gains correct.

Drop the bass boost to 0db while your doing the initial tune.

With the HU around 60% volume and gains at 0 start adding gain until it clips. These HUs get dirty pretty quickly. This is where you should spend some time getting optimal volume/gain settings. Drop gains - add volume, repeat until you get it as loud as you can without clipping.

If its still not where you want it you may have to pull some lows out so bring up the filter settings.

Play around and see if you can clean it up.

As already mentioned you could consider a DSP and this will make huge improvements with the factory HU - the Alpine 660 mentioned many times on here is good entry level DSP option. Moving up to a Fosgate 3.sixty.3, JBL MS8 or Audison Bitone starts to get expensive but all are state of the art.

Im not a fan of the Cleansweep as results vary widely and its not a true DSP and I dont like autotune devices. Basic line controllers such as the LCQ are just EQ/gain boxes that dont give you a whole lot for the $. IMO a new HU would be the better route. Clean source is everything. All this other stuff downstream is just to fix crappy source.

A new HU will make significant improvements and the right unit would eliminate the need for a cleansweep or LCQ (no HU except for the Pioneer P99 can replace a true DSP).

For entry level single din HUs I like the Sony MEX-BT3900U http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...X-BT3900U.html its a little more than the Kenwood, has EQ and HP/LP filtering built in so you can fine tune right from the HU. Has BT, iPod, pandora, USB, etc..

My buddy is using this HU in couple vehicles with huge systems and it sounds great.

Last edited by JoeBoost; 05-11-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

I have those speakers powered from a pioneer deck and think they sound great. I'd love to amp them but not now...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies! The JL clean sweep route was one I hadn't thought of, and I will consider it now.

Joeboost, you've really hit the nail on the head. I've already done the tuning almost exactly how you described and this is where I'm at. I was actually looking at that particular Sony deck too (the 7 band equalizer looked good).

I have had many different systems in the past, and the sound that comes out of this system is unique in a not so good way. Songs played over the radio actually sound louder and better than the same songs off of a CD. The system can't handle Ozzy's Crazy Train on a CD (the highs are a mess), but the same song on the radio is louder and clearer (and not as tinny)

They have that Sony deck through Crutchfield on special for about $130, and they want 100 for the sync harness. Have the harnesses been working well with these systems and will I retain steering wheel controls (or is there an extra part needed)? The guy at Crutchfield also told me I won't have to use the extra lcd face plate, but I'm not sure if that's correct or not. Does anyone have experience with these issues? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBoost
Dont mean to sound remedial - you may have already done all this. That said and without much info to go on as to what you have tried so far here are some suggestions:

Make sure the amp is high passed on both f/r channels. Your speakers Fq range starts at 52hz so I would set to around 60 as a base while you get the gains correct.

Drop the bass boost to 0db while your doing the initial tune.

With the HU around 60% volume and gains at 0 start adding gain until it clips. These HUs get dirty pretty quickly. This is where you should spend some time getting optimal volume/gain settings. Drop gains - add volume, repeat until you get it as loud as you can without clipping.

If its still not where you want it you may have to pull some lows out so bring up the filter settings.

Play around and see if you can clean it up.

As already mentioned you could consider a DSP and this will make huge improvements with the factory HU - the Alpine 660 mentioned many times on here is good entry level DSP option. Moving up to a Fosgate 3.sixty.3, JBL MS8 or Audison Bitone starts to get expensive but all are state of the art.

Im not a fan of the Cleansweep as results vary widely and its not a true DSP and I dont like autotune devices. Basic line controllers such as the LCQ are just EQ/gain boxes that dont give you a whole lot for the $. IMO a new HU would be the better route. Clean source is everything. All this other stuff downstream is just to fix crappy source.

A new HU will make significant improvements and the right unit would eliminate the need for a cleansweep or LCQ (no HU except for the Pioneer P99 can replace a true DSP).

For entry level single din HUs I like the Sony MEX-BT3900U http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...X-BT3900U.html its a little more than the Kenwood, has EQ and HP/LP filtering built in so you can fine tune right from the HU. Has BT, iPod, pandora, USB, etc..

My buddy is using this HU in couple vehicles with huge systems and it sounds great.
This needs to be stickied for; general, tuning of an amp, and questions on loc's vs dsp's for hi-level imputs. We get these questions daily!

A little more info could be added, thus stopping alot of redundant questions.

Quick Reply: Unhappy w/Polk 5x7's and amp, need advice