Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Tweeter advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter advice

I have some w 6.5 Digital design midrange/midbass speakers that are going in front door. Any recommendations on tweets? I'm running 55x4 @ 4 ohm. or 140 watts x2. Was not too impressed with jbl p660. Only other tweeters I have ever ran was jl audio and those sounded nice.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Check out Madisound.com. They've got a ton of raw small format tweeters that would be great.

The Vifa XT25 is around $25 each and one of the best tweeters on the market dollar for dollar. The LPG 26NA is around $45 each and is a superb tweeter as well. Maybe the best above 4KHz. The Scanspeak Illuminator 1" soft dome is, in my opinion, the best small format tweeter on the market. They run $110 each but are worth every penny. The LPG's would probably be the easiest to mount and you can buy an mounting cup from Madisound that will fit them for a few bucks.
The following users liked this post:
greg575 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by _MacLeod_
Check out Madisound.com. They've got a ton of raw small format tweeters that would be great.

The Vifa XT25 is around $25 each and one of the best tweeters on the market dollar for dollar. The LPG 26NA is around $45 each and is a superb tweeter as well. Maybe the best above 4KHz. The Scanspeak Illuminator 1" soft dome is, in my opinion, the best small format tweeter on the market. They run $110 each but are worth every penny. The LPG's would probably be the easiest to mount and you can buy an mounting cup from Madisound that will fit them for a few bucks.

Nice to see someone on here who knows really good audio. Morel has some nice options as well!
greg575 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 07:31 PM

My home speakers have ScanSpeak D2905/9500 1'' tweeter and ScanSpeak 5.5'' Revelator woofer
Old 02-04-2017, 11:18 PM

Wow thank you. Madisound is perfect and cheap lol. Will probably go lpg since I can buy a mounting cup and easy install=) Cannot go wrong for 45 a pop lol. Have never seen that site. The vifa looks nice as well though. Tough decisions. Thanks, hoping to have my deck and new speakers in by next week and rebuild my system lol. What crossover point should I hit the lpgs at? I have a h660 processer. Not sure if I am going to use it with aftermarket radio now though.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:45 AM
Mass Effect

Originally Posted by greg575
Wow thank you. Madisound is perfect and cheap lol. Will probably go lpg since I can buy a mounting cup and easy install=) Cannot go wrong for 45 a pop lol. Have never seen that site. The vifa looks nice as well though. Tough decisions. Thanks, hoping to have my deck and new speakers in by next week and rebuild my system lol. What crossover point should I hit the lpgs at? I have a h660 processer. Not sure if I am going to use it with aftermarket radio now though.
The LPG's get pretty nasty below 4KHz. Above that they're some of the best on the market. I'd suggest cutting them at 4K @ 24db/oct if you have the capability.

The Vifa's are excellent as well and will play lower than the LPG's will but their drawback, and the drawback to any ring radiator is that they're pretty directional. Their off axis performance drops off pretty quick. Not a problem with home audio as you're usually sitting in front of the speakers but for car audio, it's hard to get the tweeters on axis.
greg575 (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 11:19 AM

Thanks, With mounting it will be pretty hard to get them on axis. Was going to put them in factory location. So crossing over at 4k @24 tweet, 60k @24 mid, think my subs are crossed at 30k @ 12. Will this sound good? Anything I'm overlooking. Thanks for advice guys.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Mass Effect

4K @ 24db is usually the sweet spot for mid and tweet crossover. Some can work a little lower, some higher depending on the mid's off axis response, but that's always a good place to start.

30 Hz seems a little low for a sub tho. 63 is usually a better place to start. 40-50 is good if you're trying to let your mids do as much work as they can to keep your bass up front but I always preferred trading some of the bass imaging for better output and a sub is always gonna be better at bass than a mid. 63 sounds find for the mids but I'd try the sub a little higher and see what you think. Most of the kick and punch is in between the 40-63 Hz range anyway. Above 63 and you're getting into the boomy bass.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the help. Getting new head unit and tweets in next weekend so will definitely try those crossover points and see. Ordered both tweeters just to experiment with sound as well
Old 02-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Mass Effect

Spares are always handy. I've got tweeters lying around everywhere. LOL! I've tried a bunch of 'em.