Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

time to upgrade speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default time to upgrade speakers

Been searching the site and to be honest my head is spinning. I've been part of a fishing forum here in Fl for 14 years and have learned so much and made friends thru forum and fished many times with forum members. Since your all Ford Truck guys (gals) I will Appreciate ya'lls advice.
I want to keep stock radio ( non-nav) and replace 4 door speakers and add amp and tube sub. I'd like to be cost effective but not cheap. I'm not looking to blow out the young ones, just want to enjoy clean crisp music(mostly played from galaxy4 phone) but have the ability to impress twenty something blonde. Being an old fart I will need a little help : )
Brands,model #, installation tips all will be considered. I will post picture progress when I get to that point.( lol need to go shopping first)
I've visited a couple shops here in Jacksonville but when I compared prices to online sources they pretty much tacked on 100%. Thanks in advance
Old 02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Being you want to keep your factory HU install the PAC AOEM FRD24. Major thread all about it on this site. PNP install and allows you to run RCA cable to an amp/sub. I did this to start. Since I have installed an after market HU. Here was my initial install; PAC, Rockford Fosgate mono amp, Kicker 10" sub, Polk MM6501 front doors, Polk db571 rear doors. Installing the door speakers is easy if you use an adapter harness. Check Crutchfield to see what fits and recommendations. Crutch has A+ customer service and you get instructions but they are usually more expensive than other sites. It all depends on your budget and installation skills on what you get and where you buy.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

How capable are you in installing a system and how much do you want to learn? The reason I ask is though stereo shops are more expensive, the time you are going to put into it may be worth paying someone else.

Also, don't be afraid to ask a local shop for discounts. I have two shops I deal with locally and every time I want something (that they stock) I tell them the price I can get it for online. I further explain that I would prefer to support local businesses but they need to get reasonably near what I could get it delivered to my door for. I've yet to be disappointed and both have worked well with me.

There are many on this forum who are more vast and technical than I so I'll leave that up to them. Your wants are pretty simple and could be achieved with a 5 channel amp that accepts high inputs, choosing door speakers and a sub and then installing all of it. You could however get WAY more complicated....you'll figure that out through question and answers on this forum.

Good luck with your build. Hopefully it doesn't snowball like mine and develop into a continual work in progress....not that mine doesn't 'sound good, it's just that I want more and more and more.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with troutspinner, although doing what you want is fairly easy, those without the knowledge may find it better to get help at the car installer.
As for your brands though I like to run infinities for my speakers, Kappas get you really great sound quality with little to no distortion at high volumes. I've heard that Polk are good, and I had a decent set of Rockfords installed years ago. I'd suggest going to the stereo installer and at least just listen to the speakers that they have on display, it's a good way to find what you like, but remember it won't sound exactly the same in your truck. Once you find what you like write down the model number and go online, Amazon has great prices if you can find it, crutchfield is better than the install shops but still pricey, I personnally stay off of EBAY but you can find some good deals there as well.
As for amps and subs I primarily have used Rockford in all of my installs and have had no problems to date. Kicker is a good low cost alternative though if you're worried about costs.
If you decide to install yourself then alot of the posts on here (especially the stickies) are a wealth of knowledge. If you have a specific question and can't find the answer then feel free to post the question.

Tips:
Like Tallyman said if you want to use your stock HU the PAC is the best and cheapest way to go.

Use an add a circuit for the remote lead, you won't have to splice wires and if you decide to upgrade your HU you can always just remove the circuit and tap into the aftermarket HU.

Look on YouTube for any questions on disassembling doors and/or trim panels, it's one thing to read about it, it's a completely different thing to see it being done.

Speaking of the doors if you have a newer model make sure when you remove the screw behind the door handle to grab the retention bracket inside the door ASAP or you'll have to fish it outta the bottom of the door.

I started a thread asking questions and posting pictures of my progress when I started my install, maybe it'll help you a little: https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2013-install-help-229815/
Old 02-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

My previous truck I had the stock head unit, Polk DB6501 separates in the front doors the tweeters can be mounted in the triangular area behind the mirror and have similar styling to the HVAC vents. For the rear I had Boston S85 5x7's. It sounded pretty good but could have had more low end.

Doing the exact same thing in the new truck but I also bought an aftermarket head unit, a small amp that will go behind the rear seat, and a Sound Ordnance powered sub that will also go behind the rear seat.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by jmdavis333
I agree with troutspinner, although doing what you want is fairly easy, those without the knowledge may find it better to get help at the car installer.
As for your brands though I like to run infinities for my speakers, Kappas get you really great sound quality with little to no distortion at high volumes. I've heard that Polk are good, and I had a decent set of Rockfords installed years ago. I'd suggest going to the stereo installer and at least just listen to the speakers that they have on display, it's a good way to find what you like, but remember it won't sound exactly the same in your truck. Once you find what you like write down the model number and go online, Amazon has great prices if you can find it, crutchfield is better than the install shops but still pricey, I personnally stay off of EBAY but you can find some good deals there as well.
As for amps and subs I primarily have used Rockford in all of my installs and have had no problems to date. Kicker is a good low cost alternative though if you're worried about costs.
If you decide to install yourself then alot of the posts on here (especially the stickies) are a wealth of knowledge. If you have a specific question and can't find the answer then feel free to post the question.

Tips:
Like Tallyman said if you want to use your stock HU the PAC is the best and cheapest way to go.

Use an add a circuit for the remote lead, you won't have to splice wires and if you decide to upgrade your HU you can always just remove the circuit and tap into the aftermarket HU.

Look on YouTube for any questions on disassembling doors and/or trim panels, it's one thing to read about it, it's a completely different thing to see it being done.

Speaking of the doors if you have a newer model make sure when you remove the screw behind the door handle to grab the retention bracket inside the door ASAP or you'll have to fish it outta the bottom of the door.

I started a thread asking questions and posting pictures of my progress when I started my install, maybe it'll help you a little: https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2013-install-help-229815/
JM
You don't need an add -a - circuit for the turn on lead. The PAC includes one built in.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 AM

Default Ty all!!

I was an electrician for 20 yrs before getting my GC license but wiring is a different animal in car/truck having the knowledge of how door panels and trim pieces come off is priceless,but thanks to YouTube I've seen some f150 members do it!!
Tallyman89 I've read countless pages on this forum about the PAC-FRD and I'm happy to learn that the 24 is the one for me to use(I have the 10 written down on my list)
I am leaning towards crutchfield.
Troutspinner I spent an hour in a local shop ( rolling sounds) and JL is a brand he was pushing. I was searching prices online while I was there and found the same speakers on Amazon and other vendors 1/2 the price and when I asked if he will work with me and I made it known I'd rather support local businesses he would only cut rates on installation. I want to install myself(ego ) just enjoy working with my paws. I'm going to check a couple other smaller shops.
JMdavis I see a lot of builds using Rockford amps so I will check em out along with your link.
I haven't put a number on budget yet. Hopefully I will have this truck for 10 years, so I dont want to be doing this again...maybe a HU down the road
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxfish
I haven't put a number on budget yet. Hopefully I will have this truck for 10 years, so I dont want to be doing this again...maybe a HU down the road
If a HU is something you are really considering, you may want to consider it as the beginning point and your system can "grow up" as budget allows. Though the PAC-FRD will get you your low inputs, the signal output of the stock HU in our trucks leave a lot to be desired and a DSP should be highly considered.

You did not mention if you have Sync or Steering wheel controls but if going with an aftermarket HU, all of that can be retained with a Maestro or MS-FRD1 and PAC-SWI.

Food for thought......
Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by troutspinner
If a HU is something you are really considering, you may want to consider it as the beginning point and your system can "grow up" as budget allows. Though the PAC-FRD will get you your low inputs, the signal output of the stock HU in our trucks leave a lot to be desired and a DSP should be highly considered.

You did not mention if you have Sync or Steering wheel controls but if going with an aftermarket HU, all of that can be retained with a Maestro or MS-FRD1 and PAC-SWI.

Food for thought......
Trout...I have sync(No navigation) with controls on the steering wheel..
Thanks for picking my brain..here is my thoughts...I am hopeful that an amp with quality door speakers and a medium grade tube sub will give me what I'm looking for. Guesstamate % of listening is 50% through my phone, 35% cd, 15% FM radio. Had Sirius for two years ...dropped it a few months back because quality of sound was just horrible. Sounded like it was playing out of a fish bowl most of the time.
I like the stock look of my interior so I'm hoping I dont need a new HU to get the sound that I will be happy with.

Quick Reply: time to upgrade speakers