Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Thoughts on audio components

Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Thoughts on audio components

I'm thinking about upgrading the audio in my 2015 screw with non Sony system. For front speakers, I'm thinking about a set of Morel Maximo 6 1/2" components with the tweeter mounted in the stock location. Rear doors would be Morel Maximo 6 1/2" coaxials. Below is a link to the amp I was thinking about trying. I'm not familiar with the company, but the specs look good and the reviews have been great. I use to have a JL Audio XD series 3 channel amp that I loved! I thought about buying the 5 channel version, but it's over my budget right now. I have a JBL 10" sub sitting around from my previous truck, and I will probably use that running at 2 ohms in a sealed enclosure. I don't need window shaking bass, just decent low end fill and this single 10" sub should do the trick. I'm open to any other amp and speaker suggestions, but would like to keep the price similar to the components I've mentioned. Here's where I'm a bit confused..... I'm an old school car audio guy, and I've always replaced the HU in my previous vehicles. Since I will be keeping my factory 8" screen, it appears I need a sound processor. I've been researching the JL Audio Fix-82 and it seems like it would do a great job. However, I'm confused as to the connections. It only has a single rca out or digital toslink out. I guess that's not an issue with JL amps as supposedly you can run there multi channel amps in 2 channel mode and still utilize all channels. Would I be able to use the Fix-82 with the 5 channel amp I'm considering? If so, any idea how I would connect the amp properly. I don't plan to do the install myself, just trying to make sure I understand how it works and if in fact I could use the NVX amp. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-JAD900.5.html

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-spea...er-system.html

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-172-spea...er-system.html
Old 08-09-2016, 01:09 AM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm the same way. This whole keeping the source unit thing seemed like sacrilege to me, but it seems to be the way forward.

I put a Fix 82 in my 2011 last week. It definitely does the job and really cleans up the sound. The 2 channel out can be worked around unless you want to be able to fade from front to back. I never run rear fill, so splitting the RCAs to run to the sub amp and the front stage never bothered me. I was looking at JL's site the other day and it looks like they added a milti-channel out equivalent. I didn't look closely, so I could be wrong. Also, Audison makes some really nice signal processors. I'd probably be running something like a Bit 10 or Bit 1 if I didn't get a good deal on the open box Fix 82. It's a much more powerful process or and allows you to do a lot more with the digital EQ and TA.

You'll be happy with the Morels. I just tossed some Virtus 3 ways in my truck. They're wonderful speakers. Years ago, I built a DIY, active, 2 way set two of their home audio drivers. It also sounded really good.

Good luck with your install
Old 08-09-2016, 01:17 AM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm bringing this stuff to a good shop tomorrow, i stopped in there last week and they are recommending the XD500/3 since i want a modest sub like yourself (probably just an 8), although i have a signal processor they said i wont need it with the XD and their tuning..i doubt i'll need the 4 channel mb quart amp in the picture....its a ferry ride away so i'm bringing what i have just in case, gonna have another chat with the manager when i get there and figure it all out...probably ditching rear speakers all together...
will let you know...how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on audio components-20160808_215501-1-.jpg  
Old 08-09-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by cody6766
I'm the same way. This whole keeping the source unit thing seemed like sacrilege to me, but it seems to be the way forward.

I put a Fix 82 in my 2011 last week. It definitely does the job and really cleans up the sound. The 2 channel out can be worked around unless you want to be able to fade from front to back. I never run rear fill, so splitting the RCAs to run to the sub amp and the front stage never bothered me. I was looking at JL's site the other day and it looks like they added a milti-channel out equivalent. I didn't look closely, so I could be wrong. Also, Audison makes some really nice signal processors. I'd probably be running something like a Bit 10 or Bit 1 if I didn't get a good deal on the open box Fix 82. It's a much more powerful process or and allows you to do a lot more with the digital EQ and TA.

You'll be happy with the Morels. I just tossed some Virtus 3 ways in my truck. They're wonderful speakers. Years ago, I built a DIY, active, 2 way set two of their home audio drivers. It also sounded really good.

Good luck with your install
Thank you! Yes, I'm excited about the Morels as I've always been a big fan of their brand. I'm not really too concerned about the front to rear fade as I figure I'll just let them play at the same level. In some of my past vehicles I usually just went front stage as well, but since this is a big truck and I tend to have back seat riders I would like to have some rear fill. I've read some great things about the Audison Bit 10, but trying to keep the budget a little lower on this build. You're spot on about not changing the source unit being sacrilege. If there was a dash kit available, I would toy with the idea of throwing my old Eclipse ECD-510 in! Then again, if I did that I would have to go pick up some PPI Art series amps too lol.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Coyote Five O
I'm bringing this stuff to a good shop tomorrow, i stopped in there last week and they are recommending the XD500/3 since i want a modest sub like yourself (probably just an 8), although i have a signal processor they said i wont need it with the XD and their tuning..i doubt i'll need the 4 channel mb quart amp in the picture....its a ferry ride away so i'm bringing what i have just in case, gonna have another chat with the manager when i get there and figure it all out...probably ditching rear speakers all together...
will let you know...how it goes.
Good luck! I highly recommend the XD500/3. I had one in my last truck, and it was honestly one of the best amps I've used. When I sold my last truck, I sold all my audio equipment and now I wish I didn't. Just a heads up..... I went with a single 8" sub originally in my last build. I ended up switching to a single 10" and was much happier. You might want to do the same and if output is too much, you can always turn the sub down a bit. Good luck with the install, and let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 PM

I got everything ordered, and should have everything in next week. Can't wait to finally improve the sound of this truck! I went with the 5 channel amp from NVX, JL Audio Fix-86 processor, Morel Maximo 6 1/2" components for the front, and NVX 6 1/2" coaxials for the rear. The only thing I'm uncertain on right now is the sub. I was going to use a JBL sub that I have laying around, but I think it might have too much depth for an under the seat down firing enclosure. I'm going to let the audio shop take a look, and I might have to go switch to a shallow mount sub. I really want to stick with down firing under the seat rather than a sub behind the seat backs. I'll post pics once everything is installed!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 PM

Well this is what i ended up with......

JL XD700/5v2
Focal PS 165V (front components)
Focal ISC 165 (Rear coaxial)
JL 10TW3-D4 (slim line Sub)
HD-RLC (HD/XD Sub control ****)
They used about 30 Square ft of my sound damping mat in the 4 doors ( i have 2.5 sheets left out of a 10 sheet 40sq ft kit)

Going into this i though for sure i would need a signal processor so i bought the Audio Control DQ61 but in the end the shop was right, its not needed...They soldered the front & rear high level inputs into RCA cables and ran them into the XD 700/5 Amp, the amp derives a sub channel from them (summing)....there is no noise WHATSOEVER...

Amp is under passenger seat, tweets fit into the stock positions...amp is about middle of rear, i asked to just leave lose with angle brackets for now till i decide its final resting place, it cant go too far to driver side or the grill could get crushed a little from the latch mechanism underneath seat which i found out pretty quick.....

I still have full Fade & Balance along with trebble,midbase & bass on the headunit...although they said not to mess with the bass on the headunit much and to use the new bass **** which is super handy when switching between music types wow ( never had one before )....the sub is more than enough for my bass needs.
The way everything sounds im impressesd without much for eq settings...basically flat but everything is installed/tuned so well i dont feel the need for an eq ( but its only been a day ), The installer said he plugged all the big cavities, openings in the doors, removed the vapour barrier, attatched some metal strips in behind, then covered with dampening, i think i was lucky here as the installer knows his **** and quote " I F....... Love My Job"

The Focals sound ok for Metal, Good for Rock/Pop and FANTASTIC for Dance,Electrinic, Dubstep etc.....Very impressed......

I have one slight rattle in the passenger door when i crank er up with lots of bass.....i'll hunt that bugger down on my days off and shut it up hopefully...

With all the Damping material in the doors they actually feel and close like doors now

Name:  20160810_160832_zpsauaybhp2.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  272.0 KB
Name:  20160810_160950_zpsrylzg5mm.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  197.2 KB
Name:  20160810_160701_zpsfeptolw7.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  225.5 KB
Name:  20160810_160735_zpsg5bxfqcn.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  224.3 KB
Name:  20160810_161246_zpsls6cji9w.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  186.4 KB
Name:  20160810_161048_zps4au0u6og.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  237.4 KB
Name:  20160810_161017_zpsbk6i4oar.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  218.3 KB
Name:  20160810_162840_zpsufo9z8ne.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  198.1 KB
Name:  20160810_170905_zpsywo85ytz.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  193.0 KB

Last edited by Coyote Five O; 08-10-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:47 PM

Nice! The type of enclosure you went with is what I'm considering as well, but think I want to go down firing. Glad to hear you had no issues getting the focal tweeters mounted in the factory location. I'm hoping my tweeters will fit in the factory location as well. Enjoy that amp, I loved the XD 500/3!
Old 08-11-2016, 06:32 PM

I decided on the sub today. Went to a local audio shop, and they were able to fit a JL Audio CS110LG-TW3 under the back seat. The grill is in contact with the bottom of the seat, but it seemed to fit well and didn't push the seat up. They claim it should sound great, and no worse than it would if it were down firing. I actually decided on the CS112LG-TW3 instead which is a 12" sub. It has the same depth, but is just slightly longer. I think it might be more than what I need, but I'll have a sub **** from the amp mounted near my dash, so I can easily adjust it. Below is a link. Got it from an Ebay seller for $325.00 shipped! Hoping to have everything installed next weekend.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...112LG-TW3.html
Old 08-11-2016, 11:31 PM

Nice !
I don't think the seat will be an issue as far as height...but it will protrude out from the end of the seat some i believe being 15-3/8" wide, mine is notched around 11-11.5", my box is a little higher @ 5-3/4" high and the specs on your box are 5-1/8", the cloth does touch the grill but its fine, i can sit there no problem and it doesn't squash....the grill will stick up another 1.75" just like mine....just keep the sub away from the latch underneath the seat...
And it does sound great
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on audio components-20160811_203852.jpg  

Last edited by Coyote Five O; 08-11-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on audio components