Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Temporary Blu Ray DVD Player Setup for Upcoming Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Temporary Blu Ray DVD Player Setup for Upcoming Vacation

Planning on the first family road trip with my new f150. I started thinking it would be cool if the kids could watch blu ray dvds. Looked for portable ones at first then started thinking why not just use the one I have in the family room that plugs into 120v. I'll have to check the wattage but I don't think it pulls that much power.

Of course the other thing to figure out is a monitor. I was thinking of a small led computer monitor I have laying around.

If these are within the wattage (400w iirc) put out by the converter any reason this wouldn't work?

TIA
Old 02-23-2016, 09:44 AM

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

I found a device from seagate, a 1 terabyte hard drive that emits a wifi signal, no Internet, but all your tablets and phones can log onto it. $140

You download your movies onto it, and the kids can watch whatever they want, on their own device.

Supposedly can handle 5 devices at 1x

Headrest mounts
Blutooth headphones
Both from amazon

I bought the hard drive, 10" tablets, mounts abs headphones all for less then $600

It can connect to any tablet, so you may not even need those

You'd have a rolling media center

We do 12 hr trips to Kansas, alot
Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 AM

Thats really cool. Will have to look into it. Of course that means I'll need to spend hours ripping my dvd's.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by kevreh
Planning on the first family road trip with my new f150. I started thinking it would be cool if the kids could watch blu ray dvds. Looked for portable ones at first then started thinking why not just use the one I have in the family room that plugs into 120v. I'll have to check the wattage but I don't think it pulls that much power.

Of course the other thing to figure out is a monitor. I was thinking of a small led computer monitor I have laying around.

If these are within the wattage (400w iirc) put out by the converter any reason this wouldn't work?

TIA
Should work fine
Old 02-23-2016, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by kevreh
Thats really cool. Will have to look into it. Of course that means I'll need to spend hours ripping my dvd's.
Right, we have like 60 movie

We were spending 1 hr per dvd, bought a new desktop, 15min.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 204 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by RACER X
I found a device from seagate, a 1 terabyte hard drive that emits a wifi signal, no Internet, but all your tablets and phones can log onto it. $140
If you want to go cheaper, here are some alternatives:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
This little bugger runs off of micro USB (so you can power it via 12V to micro usb like it is a cell phone), supports a flash drive connected to it (in addition to the micro usb), and can act as a DLNA server for you kid's wifi enabled devices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MUKX6PE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MUKX6PE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
is the same thing, except with an internal battery, so the kids can continue to zombie out while you have the vehicle power off.

For both of these, I've tried with one device streaming (but haven't tried with bunches at a time).

There are other alternatives out there (possibly even cheaper), but some require hacking the device to install open-WRT or other Linux variants. These two come pretty much ready to go, just add flash drive.

Also, for ripping movies for the road, a free but capable ripper is handbrake, which has built in profiles for various mobile devices, which can cut down dramatically on the file sizes.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by RACER X
Right, we have like 60 movie

We were spending 1 hr per dvd, bought a new desktop, 15min.

What software do you use for ripping dvds? Do you know what made the conversion go faster on your new pc? Thanks
Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by TooManyVehicles
If you want to go cheaper, here are some alternatives:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00 This little bugger runs off of micro USB (so you can power it via 12V to micro usb like it is a cell phone), supports a flash drive connected to it (in addition to the micro usb), and can act as a DLNA server for you kid's wifi enabled devices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00 is the same thing, except with an internal battery, so the kids can continue to zombie out while you have the vehicle power off.

For both of these, I've tried with one device streaming (but haven't tried with bunches at a time).

There are other alternatives out there (possibly even cheaper), but some require hacking the device to install open-WRT or other Linux variants. These two come pretty much ready to go, just add flash drive.

Also, for ripping movies for the road, a free but capable ripper is handbrake, which has built in profiles for various mobile devices, which can cut down dramatically on the file sizes.
Thanks for the ideas! That first device looks cheap and simple. Need to read the user reviews to see how many devices it can stream. Have two kids.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 PM

its called DVD Fab9
Old 02-25-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

What app are your kids using on their tablets to access the devices? I came in here to suggest just buying a couple of cheap tablets like we do but a dlna server in the truck would be awesome! The storage limits even with maxed out SDcards on the tablets is sometimes problematic.

Quick Reply: Temporary Blu Ray DVD Player Setup for Upcoming Vacation